Hadia graduated from the Faculty of Engineering in Alexandria, Egypt, in 2008. She then worked as an assistant lecturer for 4 years while completing her Master’s degree in architectural acoustics in educational facilities. She moved to Canada in 2012 and commenced PhD studies at the University of Alberta in 2013. She has worked on several projects related to energy efficiency of innovative wall systems funded by Landmark Group of Builders and the NSERC NEWBuildS network. In late-2013, Hadia was selected as the NEWBuildS Network representative as well as one of five FIBRE Network HQPs out of 400 delegates to represent Canadian graduate students at the Marcus Wallenberg Ceremony MWP 2013 in Stockholm, Sweden.
Hadia also holds a degree in piano performance from the Trinity College of London, and another diploma in solo piano performance from the Conservatoire de Musique d’Alexandrie in Egypt.
Hadia's recent projects have included energy efficiency of wood-frame construction and design and modifications of a wall- and floor-marking table (CNC machine) using CATIA software. Currently, Hadia is involved in a research project evaluating the performance of solar PV panels in NetZero-energy homes in cold-climate regions.
- LEED Green Associate, United States Green Building Council
- Member, Canadian Passive House Institute (CanPHI)
- Member, Acoustical Society of America (ASA)
- Bachelor of Science, Architectural Engineering, 2008, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
- Master of Science, Architectural Engineering, 2012, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
- Awad, H., Gül, M., and Al-Hussein, M. “Long-term performance and GHG emission offset analysis of small-scale grid-tied residential solar PV systems in northerly latitudes.” Accepted (Jan., 2020) for publication in Advances in Building Energy Research.
- Awad, H., Salim, K. M. E., and Gül, M. “Multi-objective design of grid-tied solar photovoltaics for commercial flat rooftops using particle swarm optimization algorithm.” Accepted (Nov., 2019) for publication in Journal of Building Engineering.
- Awad, H. and Gül, M. “Optimisation of community shared solar application in energy efficient communities.” Accepted (Aug., 2018) for publication in Sustainable Cities and Society.
Awad, H. and Gül, M. “Load-match-driven design of solar PV systems at high latitudes in the northern hemisphere and its impact on the grid.” Solar Energy, 173, 377–397.
Awad, H., Gül, M., Salim, K.M.E., and Yu, H. "Predicting the energy production by solar photovoltaic systems in cold-climate regions." Accepted (Nov., 2017) for publication in International Journal of Sustainable Energy.
Li, H.X., Gül, M., Yu, H., Awad, H., and Al-Hussein, M. (2016). “An energy performance monitoring, analysis and modelling framework for NetZero Energy Homes (NZEHs).” Energy and Buildings, 126, 353–364.
Li, Y., Yu, H., Sharmin, T., Awad, H., and Gül, M. (2016). “Towards energy-efficient homes: Evaluating the hygrothermal performance of different wall assemblies through long-term field monitoring. Energy and Buildings, 121, 43–56.
Awad, H., Gul, M., Zaman, H., Yu, H., and Al-Hussein, M. (2014) “Evaluation of the thermal and structural performance of potential energy efficient wall systems for mid-rise wood-frame buildings.” Energy and Buildings, 82, 416–427.
- Awad, H., Gül, M., Mohsen, O., and AbouRizk, S. “An integrated simulation-based construction crew allocation and trade-off with energy and carbon footprint.” Accepted (Jun., 2019) for publication in Proceedings, International Conference on Modelling and Applied Simulation, Lisbon, Portugal, Sep. 18-20.
- Awad, H., Gül, M., and Al-Hussein, M. (2019). “Toward community generation: Energy simulation and performance evaluation of multi-family solar PV settings for energy-efficient homes in Edmonton, Canada.” Proceedings, 2019 Modular and Offsite Construction (MOC) Summit, Banff, Alberta, Canada, May 21–24, 2019, pp. 365–372.
- Awad, H., Gül, M., and Yu, H. (2017). “Load-match-driven design improvement of solar PV systems and its impact on the grid with a case study.” Proceedings, IEEE Conference on Technologies for Sustainability, Phoenix, AZ, USA, Nov. 12–14.
- Awad, H., Gül, M., Ritter, C., Verma, P., Chen, Y., Yu, H., Kasawski, K., Salim, K. E., and Al-Hussein, M. (2016). “Solar photovoltaic optimization for commercial flat rooftops in cold regions.” Proceedings, IEEE Conference on Technologies for Sustainability, Phoenix, AZ, USA, Oct. 9–11.
- Salim, K.M.E., Awad, H., Gül, M., Knudson, R., and Al-Hussein, M. (2016). “An experimental framework for investigating the hygrothermal properties of multi-functional wood fibre and XPS panels for residential buildings.” Proceedings, Modular and Offsite Construction (MOC) Summit, Edmonton, AB, Canada, Sep. 29–Oct. 1, pp. 266–273.
- Awad, H., Gul, M., Zaman, H., Yu, H., and Al-Hussein, M. (2014) “Evaluation of the thermal and structural performance of potential energy efficient wall systems for mid-rise wood-frame buildings.” Proceedings, Construction Research Congress, 2255–2265.
- Awad, H., Farag, H., Taha, D., and Hanafi, M. (2012). "Architectural acoustics in educational facilities: An empirical study on university classrooms in Egypt." Proceedings, 164th Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America.