Sadiq Altaf has been studying under the supervision of Dr. Al-Hussein since 2009, during which time he has completed his Master's and PhD in Construction Engineering Management with a focus on simulation, modular and production planning and scheduling, and control systems for fabrication of panelized homes.
Sadiq is developing a discrete-event simulation (DES)-based production planning and control system for panelized construction with the aim of improving productivity. Sadiq employs Simphony.NET, a simulation engine developed at the University of Alberta, to develop the simulation model that mimics the production process. He integrates DES and Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) in order to provide optimum production sequencing, and has developed a simulation-based control system framework to generate real-time production performance by integrating simulation models with a data acquisition system. The research is being implemented at ACQBUILT Inc.’s prefabrication plant in Edmonton in order to validate the simulation model and demonstrate the practicality of the system.
- PhD in Construction Engineering and Management (2016), University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
- Master of Science, Construction Engineering and Management (2011), University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
- Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (2008), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Wang, M., Altaf, M. S., Al-Hussein, M., and Ma, Y. (2018). “Framework for an IoT-based shop floor material management system for panelised homebuilding.” International Journal of Construction Management, DOI: 10.1080/15623599.2018.1484554, 16 pages.
- Altaf, M.S., Liu, H., Al-Hussein, M., Bouferguene, A., and Yu, H. (2018). “Integrated production planning and control system for a panelized home prefabrication facility using simulation and RFID.” Automation in Construction, 85, 369-383.
- Altaf, M., Hashisho, Z., and Al-Hussein, M. (2014). “A method for integrating occupational indoor air quality with building information modeling (BIM) for scheduling construction activities.” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 41(3), 245-251.
- Wang, M., Ahn, S., Zhang, Y., Al-Hussein, M., Ma, Y., and Altaf, M.S. (2019). “Automatic material estimation by translating BIM data into ERP readable data for panelized residential construction.” Proceedings, 2019 Modular and Offsite Construction (MOC) Summit, Banff, Alberta, Canada, May 21–24, 2019, pp. 9–16.
- Altaf, M.S., Al-Hussein, M., Han, S., Lei, Z., and Demirer, S. (2018). “A case study: Prefabricated wood framed panelized roof system for single family home.” Proceedings, World Conference on Timber Engineering, Aug. 20–23, Seoul, Korea.
- Wang, M., Ma, Y., Altaf, M.S., and Al-Hussein, M. (2018). “IoT-based inventory control system framework for panelized construction.” Proceedings, 2018 Modular and Offsite Construction Summit, Hollywood, FL, USA, Mar. 22–25, pp. 33–40.
- Ahn, S.J., Altaf, M.S., Han, S., and Al-Hussein, M. (2017). “Machine learning application of the logistics cost estimation in the panelized construction.” Proceedings, Modular and Offsite Construction (MOC) Summit, Shanghai, China, Nov. 9–12, pp. 216–223.
- Wen, Y., Ogunyemi, D., Bouferguene, A., Altaf, M.S., Bouferguene, A., and Al-Hussein, M. (2017). “Using noisy RFID data for accurately monitoring panel fabrication assembly line.” Proceedings, Modular and Offsite Construction (MOC) Summit, Shanghai, China, Nov. 9–12, pp. 208–215.
- Altaf, M.S. and Al-Hussein, M. (2017). “Simulation model of prefabricated house from manufacturing to on-site installation.” Proceedings, European Modeling and Simulation Symposium, Sep. 18–20, Barcelona, Spain, pp. 77–82.
- Altaf, S., Liu, H., Yu, H., and Al-Hussein, M. (2015). "Online simulation modeling of prefabricated wall panel production using RFID system." Proceedings, Winter Simulation Conference, Huntington Beach, CA, USA, Dec. 6–9, pp. 3379–3390.
- Altaf, M., Liu, H., Zhang, Y., Al-Hussein, M., and Bouferguene, A. (2015). “Discrete-event simulation modelling of prefabricated wall production line.” Proceedings, 27th European Modeling & Simulation Symposium, Bergeggi, Italy, Sep. 21–23, pp. 234–239.
- Liu, H., Altaf, M.S., Lei, Z., Lu, M., and Al-Hussein, M. (2015). Automated production planning in panelized construction enabled by integrating discrete-event simulation and BIM." Proceedings, International Construction Specialty Conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada, Jun. 8–10.
- Altaf, M.S., Liu, H., Al-Hussein, M., and AbouRizk, S. (2014). "Resource planning based on discrete-event simulation for panelized construction." Proceedings, International Conference on Construction Applications of Virtual Reality (CONVR), Sharjah, UAE, Nov. 16–18, pp. 26–33.
- Altaf, M., Al-Hussein, M., and Yu, H. (2014). “Wood-frame wall panel sequencing based on discrete-event simulation and particle swarm optimization.” Proceedings, 31st International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction and Mining (ISARC), Sydney, Australia, Jul. 9–11.
- Han, S.H., Hasan, S., Lei, Z., Altaf, M., and Al-Hussein, M. (2013). "A framework for crane selection in large-scale industrial construction projects." Proceedings, International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction (ISARC) / World Mining Congress, Montréal, QC, Canada, Aug. 11–15, pp. 387–394.