Home | Research
Dr. Tae J. Kwon joined the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Alberta in August 2016, after receiving his Ph.D. degree from the University of Waterloo in June 2016. Prior to joining the University of Alberta, he worked as a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Waterloo Innovative Transportation System Solutions (iTSS) Lab. Dr. Kwon’s research specifically focuses on winter road maintenance, location optimization of ITS facilities, spatial and temporal analyses of road traffic and safety, Geographic Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS) for transportation, and application of Big Data for estimation and forecasting or road and traffic conditions. He also serves as a member and Committee Communication Coordinator (CCC) of the TRB surface transportation weather committee (AH010).
For more information, please visit Dr. Kwon's department profile. He can be contacted at email@example.com.
Dr. Tae J. Kwon's research focuses on the application of state-of-the-art geomatics and advanced (geo-)statistical methods and techniques, on evaluation and optimization of complex transportation service systems, and on the development of various decision support tools for administering and managing these systems. Dr. Kwon is particularly interested in exploring ways to effectively integrate geographic information system (GIS) and remote sensing (RS) to the field of winter transportation research. Dr. Kwon's main research areas are as follows:
- Transportation and geomatics (remote sensing/GIS)
- Winter transportation engineering (winter road maintenance)
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- Applications of big data for estimation and forecasting of road and traffic conditions
- Spatial and temporal analyses of road traffic and safety
- Traffic and transportation system optimization
Current Research Initiatives
- Traveller behaviour under inclement winter weather conditions
- Estimations and forecasting of road weather and surface conditions
- Evaluation and development of a comprehensive winter storm severity index
- Optimization of ITS highway infrastructure (e.g., road weather information systems)
Top of Page