- Ph.D. in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Korea, 2017
Thesis: Analysis of Turbulent Mixing in Microfluidic Devices Developed via Initiated Chemical Vapor Deposition
- M.Sc. in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Korea, 2013
Thesis: A Robust Doubly Cross-linked Nano-adhesive for Bonding of Heterogeneous Substrates
- B.Eng. in Chemical Engineering, Summa Cum Laude, The City College of New York (CCNY) at The City University of New York (CUNY), United States, 2011
- Surface engineering of materials: synthesis and deposition of polymer thin films via initiated Chemical Vapor Deposition (iCVD) for modulating the surface properties for adhesion and anti-adhesion
- Nanopatterning: Substrate surface patterning via lithographic techniques (photolithography, soft lithography, nanoimprint lithography, capillary force lithography) for biomolecule adhesion
- Microfluidic devices for health applications: microfluidic control for sperm isolation and single-sperm analysis, novel designs for sperm selection
- Microfluidic reactors: turbulence in microchannels, turbulent mixing, design and optimization of microfluidic reactors, computational simulations for fluid mixing in microfluidic devices
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow - Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering, University of Toronto, Canada, 2017-2019
- Graduate Researcher - Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, KAIST, Korea, 2011-2017
- Undergraduate Researcher - Department of Chemical Engineering, CCNY, United States, 2011
- Guest Lecturer - Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, KAIST, Korea, 2015
- Teaching Assistant - Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, KAIST, Korea, 2012
- X. Zhu,* B. Nguyen, J. B. You, E. Karakolis, D. Sinton, C. Rochman “Identification of Microfibers in the Environment using Multiple Lines of Evidence” Environ. Sci. Technol. 2019, accepted.
- S. Seo, J. Kim, Y. Choi, J. B. You, S. G. Im, W. Lee* “Parylene based thin-film microfluidic lens array fabricated by iCVD nano-adhesive bonding” Polymer 2019, 181, 121763.
- C. McCallum, J. Riordon, Y. Wang, T. Kong, J. B. You, S. Sanner, A. Lagunov, T. G. Hannam, K. Jarvi, D. Sinton* "Deep learning-based selection of human sperm with high DNA integrity" Comm. Bio. 2019, accepted.
- E. Karakolis,† B. Nguyen,† J. B. You, C. Rochman, D. Sinton* “Fluorescent Dyes for Visualizing Microplastic Particles and Fibers in Laboratory-based Studies” Environ. Sci. Technol. Lett. 2019, 6, 334-340.
- J. Riordon,† F. Tarlan,† J. B. You, † B. Zhang, P. J. Graham, T. Kong, Y. Wang, A. Lagunov, T. G. Hannam, K. Jarvi, D. Sinton* "Two-Dimensional Planar Swimming Selects for High DNA Integrity Sperm" Lab Chip 2019, 19, 2161-2167.
- Y. Wang, J. Riordon, T. Kong, B. Nguyen, Y. Xu, J. Zhong, J. B. You, A. Lagunov, T. Hannam, K. Jarvi, D. Sinton* "Prediction of DNA integrity from morphological parameters using a single-sperm DNA fragmentation index assay" Adv. Sci. 2019, 1900712.
- T. Kong, J. B. You, B. Zhang, B. Nguyen, F. Tarlan, D. Sinton* "Accessory-free quantitative smartphone imaging of colorimetric paper-based assays" Lab Chip 2019, 19, 1991-1999.
- J. Grbic,† B. Nguyen,† J. B. You, Y. Guo, E. G. Karakolis, C. M. Rochman, D. Sinton* "Magnetic Recovery of Microplastics using Metallic Coatings" Environ. Sci. Technol. Lett. 2019, 6(2), 68-72. 9. J. B. You, Y. Wang, C. McCallum, F. Tarlan, T. G. Hannam, A. Lagunov, K. Jarvi, D. Sinton* "Live sperm trap microarray for high throughput imaging and analysis" Lab Chip 2019, 19,815-824.
- Y. Choi,† Y. T. Kim,† J. B. You, S. H. Jo, S. J. Lee, S. G. Im,* K. G. Lee* "An efficient isolation of foodborned pathogen using surface-modified porous sponge", Food Chem. 2019, 270, 445-451.
- M. J. Kwak,† D. H. Kim,† J. B. You, H. Moon, M. Joo, E. Lee, S. G. Im* "A Sub-minute Curable Nanoadhesive with High Transparency, Strong Adhesion, and Excellent Flexibility", Macromolecules 2018, 51 (3), 992-1001.
- E. G. Karakolis, B. Nguyen, J. B. You, P. J. Graham, C. M. Rochman, D. Sinton* "Digestible Fluorescent Coatings for Cumulative Quantification of Microplastic Ingestion" Environ. Sci. Technol. Lett. 2017, 5 (2), 62-67.
- J. B. You, † Y. T. Kim,† K. G. Lee, Y. Choi, S. Choi, C. H. Kim, K. H. Kim, S. J. Chang, T. J. Lee, S. J. Lee,* S. G. Im* "Surface-Modified Mesh Filter for Direct Nucleic Acid Extraction and its Application to Gene Expression Analysis" Adv. Healthcare Mater. 2017, 6 (20), 1700642.
- J. B. You, Y. Choi, S. G. Im* "Influence of adjusting the inlet channel confluence angle on mixing behaviour in inertial microfluidic mixers" Microfluid. Nanofluid. 2017, 21 (7), 1-9.
- J. Kim,† J. B. You, † S. M. Nam, S. Seo, S. G. Im,* W. Lee* "Rollable Microfluidic Systems with Microscale Bending Radius and Tuning of Device Function with Reconstructable 3D Channel Geometry" ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2017, 9 (12), 11156-11166.
- M. Joo,† J. Shin,† J. Kim, J. B. You, Y. Yoo, M. J. Kwak, M. S. Oh, S. G. Im* "One-step synthesis of crosslinked ionic polymer thin films in vapor phase and its application to an oil/water separation membrane" J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139 (6), 2329-2337.
- I. Y. Jung,† J. B. You, † B. R. Choi, J. S. Kim, H. K. Lee, B. Jang, H. S. Jeong, K. Lee, S. G. Im,* H. Lee* "A Highly Sensitive Molecular Detection Platform for Robust and Facile Diagnosis of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS)" Adv. Healthcare Mater. 2016, 5 (17), 2168-2173. (Inside Front Cover).
- M. S. Oh, Y. S. Song, C. Kim, J. Kim, J. B. You, T. S. Kim, C. S. Lee,* S. G. Im* "Control of reversible selfbending behavior in responsive janus microstrips" ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2016, 8 (13), 8782-8788.
- J. B. You, † A. Y Choi,† J. Baek, M. S. Oh, S. G. Im, K. E. Lee,* H. S. Gwak* "Application of Monodirectional Janus Patch to Oromucosal Delivery System" Adv. Healthcare Mater. 2015, 4 (15), 2229-2236.
- M. J. Kwak, M. S. Oh, Y. Yoo, J. B. You, J. Kim. S. J. Yu, S. G. Im* "Series of liquid separation system made of homogeneous copolymer films with controlled surface wettability" Chem. Mater. 2015, 27 (9), 3441-3449.
- J. Kim, M. S. Oh, C. H. Choi, S. M. Kang, M. J. Kwak, J. B. You, S. G. Im,* C. S. Lee* "Three-dimensional clustering of Janus cylinders by convex curvature and hydrophobic interactions" Soft Matter 2015, 11 (24), 4952-4961.
- J. Baek, M. J. Kwak, M. S. Oh, Y. Yoo, J. B. You, S. G. Im* "A Conformal Vapor-Pahse Deposition of Poly(2- (perfluorohexyl) ethyl methacrylate) and the Hydrophobic Properties of Thereof" Nanosci. Nanotechnol. Lett. 2015, 7 (1), 45-49.
- J. B. You, † K. Kang,† T. T. Tran, H. Park, W. R. Hwang,* J. M. Kim,* S. G. Im* "PDMS-based turbulent microfluidic mixer" Lab Chip 2015, 15 (7), 1727-1735.
- S. Cha, K. Kang, J. B. You, S. G. Im,* Y. Kim,* J. M. Kim* "Hoop stress-assisted three-dimensional particle focusing under viscoelastic flow" Rheol. Acta 2014, 53 (12), 927-933
- J. B. You, † Y. Yoo,† M. S. Oh, S. G. Im* "Simple and reliable method to incorporate the Janus property onto arbitrary porous substrates" ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2014, 6 (6), 4005-4010.
- J. B You, † S. Y Kim,† Y. J. Park, Y. G. Ko, S. G. Im* "A vapor-phase deposited polymer film to improve the adhesion of electroless-deposited copper layer onto various kinds of substrates" Langmuir 2014, 30 (3), 916- 921.
- B. Lee, A. Jiao, S. Yu, J. B. You, D. H. Kim,* S. G. Im* "Initiated chemical vapor deposition of thermoresponsive poly(N-vinylcaprolactam) thin films for cell sheet engineering" Acta Biomaterialia 2013, 9 (8), 7691-7698.
- D. Seo, J. B. You, S. G. Im, J. Kim, K. Kim, Y. K. Jung, M. Li, C. P. Park*, D. P. Kim* "Laminated film composites of multilayered plastic film and inorganic polymer binder as an alternative to transparent and hard glass" Polym. J. 2013, 45 (7), 685-689.
- J. B. You, K. I. Min, B. Lee, D. P. Kim, S. G. Im* "A doubly cross-linked nano-adhesive for the reliable sealing of flexible microfluidic devices" Lab Chip 2013, 13 (7), 1266-1272.
- Y. Yoo, J. B. You, W. Choi, S. G. Im* "A stacked polymer film for robust superhydrophobic fabrics" Polym. Chem. 2013, 4 (5), 1664-1671.
Dagger sign (†) denotes equal contribution
- H. Seong, B. J. Kim, J. B. You, Y. Yoo, S. G. Im (2015). Organic Device Fabrication and Integration with CVD Polymers. CVD Polymers: Fabrication of Organic Surfaces (Wiley-VCH).
- J. B. You, et al. Single sperm traps for correlating tail beating, DNA integrity, and morphology. Canadian Fertility & Andrology Society Annual Meeting. Montreal, Canada (oral presentation). 2018
- J. B. You, et al. Microfluidic Trap Array for Sperm Capture: Single Cell Correlation of tail beating, DNA integrity, and morphology. 2018 Joint Ontario-on-a-Chip and Training Program in Organ-on-a-Chip Engineering & Entrepreneurship (TOeP) Symposium. Toronto, Canada (poster presentation). 2018
- J. B. You, et al. PDMS-based High Throughput Microfluidic Emulsifier via Strongly Cross-linked Nanoadhesive. The 19th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences, (microTAS). Gyeongju, South Korea. (poster presentation). 2015
- J. B. You, and S. G. Im. Initiated Chemical Vapor Deposition of Highly Cross-linked Nano-adhesive Layer for Fabrication of Turbulent Microfluidic Mixer. 8th Hot Wire Chemical Vapor Deposition. Braunschweig, Germany. (oral presentation). 2014
- J. B. You, et al. Universal Doubly Cross-linked Nano-adhesive for Bonding of Heterogeneous Substrates. Fall Conference, The Korean Institute of Chemical Engineers. Busan, South Korea.(poster presentation). 2012
- J. B. You, and Sung Gap Im. Universal nano-adhesive using initiated chemical vapor deposition for microfluidic applications. Spring Conference, The Polymer Society of Korea. Daejeon, South Korea. (poster presentation). 2012
- S. G. Im, M. Kwak, Y. Yoo, J. B. You, M. S. Oh. Method of Preparing Liquid Separation Membranes Using iCVD Process. Registration #: 10-1708492, Date: 2017.02.22
- S. G. Im, J. B. You, Y. J. Park, Y. G. Ko, S. Y. Kim. Printed circuit board and manufacturing method thereof. Application Number: 10-2014-001989.
- S. G. Im, J. B. You, Y. Yoo, M. S. Oh. Gauze Having Superhydrophobicity and Hydrophilicity Surfaces and Method of Preparing the Same. Application Number: 10-2014-0045002.
- S. G. Im, J. B. You, Y. Yoo, M. S. Oh. Method of Fabricating Surfaces Having Superhydrophobicy and Hydrophilicity. Application Number: 10-2013-0046316.
- S. G. Im, J. B. You. Adhesive film and method for using thereof. Registration #: 10-1492904.
- S. G. Im, J. B. You, Y. Yoo, M. S. Oh. Method of Fabricating Surfaces Having Superhydrophobicy and Hydrophilicity and apparatus of preparing the same. Patent No. US 9,340,922 B2; Date of Patent: May 17th, 2016.
- S. G. Im, J. B. You, Y. J. Park, Y. G. Ko, S. Y. Kim. Printed circuit board and manufacturing method thereof. US
Application Number: 14333734; JP Application Number: 2014146676; TW Application number: 103123586.
Fellowships and Awards
- Nurturing Next-generation Researcher Fellowship, National Research Foundation of Korea, Korea, September 2018 - July 2019.
- Lab Chip Poster Prize, 2018 Ontario-on-a-Chip and TOeP Symposium, ON, Canada, 2018.
- Bronze Prize (Energy & Environment division), 23rd Samsung Human Tech Paper Competition, 2017.
- Presentation Award, 1st Hanhwa Chemical Paper Competition, 2013.
- Gold Prize (Materials Science & Process division), 19th Samsung Human Tech Paper Competition, 2013.