International Students

Working While In School

Working part-time during your studies allows you to earn extra income while developing transferable work skills that will assist you in gaining full-time employment following graduation.

Current immigration regulations allow full-time international students holding a valid study permit to work on campus without additional documentation, although there is high competition for a limited number of on-campus jobs. Many of these opportunities are posted on the Career Centre website, or within individual departments on campus.

Students may apply for an off-campus work permit after completing 6 months of full-time study. This permit allows full-time students who maintain satisfactory academic standing to work a maximum of 20 hours work per week during the regular academic year and full-time during school breaks. Students in programs requiring full-time work placements may apply for a co-op work permit.

For more information on employment on and off campus, please visit the International Centre Website.

Working in Canada After Graduation

It is currently possible to work in Canada for three years after graduating from the University of Alberta, as long as you obtain a post-graduation work permit. A job offer is not necessary to get a work permit. You can more information about the Post-Graduate Work Program by visiting the International Centre Website.

Information for Spouses of Full-Time International Students

Spouses of full-time international students, who are not themselves full-time students, are eligible for open work permits valid for any employer. Restrictions may apply to those spouses who have not completed an immigration medical. Spouses will require a Work Permit before beginning any employment. This can be obtained within Canada. Citizenship and Immigration Canada currently charges an application fee of $150 for a Work Permit. The fee is payable at the time of application and does not guarantee that a Work Permit will be issued.

Please note that while the immigration regulations allow employment, there is no guarantee that you or your spouse will find a job.

Stay Informed

The information provided on this page is subject to change. For the most up-to-date information about working in Canada, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.