The Engineering Co-op Department Office administers the work term component of the Engineering Co-op Program. To facilitate this, the Department provides a wide variety of services, including:
Preparing students for participation in the co-op program, through:
- Program orientation through group and individual instruction in ENGG 299
- Ongoing employment/recruitment counseling on topics such as resume writing, interview skills, and job search techniques.
- Individual advising and assistance to students whose attempts to find employment are unsuccessful
- Guiding students to make the most of their work term placements.
Coordinating recruitment cycles to bring students and potential employers together, by:
- Marketing the program to employers with suitable engineering-related jobs to encourage them to participate in the program.
- Fostering long-term professional relationships with organizations to maintain ongoing participation in the program.
- Administering the technical details of each recruitment cycle, including advertisement of co-op opportunities to students, scheduling employer co-op information sessions and interviews, and communicating offers of employment.
- Ensuring that the interests of both employers and students are protected within the recruitment and work periods.
Evaluating and documenting student performance on work term placements, including:
- Visiting students at work sites to conduct on-site evaluations.
- Marking ENGG 299 and work term reports.
- Recommending that credit be awarded for each work term.
- Maintaining student records.
- Recommending students for graduation following the successful completion of the required months of work experience.