Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAs or Drones)

Using a Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (drone, formally UAV) for your research?

Before June 1, 2019, the legislation that governs all aviation activities in Canadian airspace is the Canadian Aeronautics Act and the Canadian Aviation Regulations, and in particular for drones (UAVs), Standard 623, Special Flight Operations (S. 623.65). 

As of June 1, 2019, Part IX of CARs will govern the operation of RPAs or drones. Please see this important page to advise of the new regulations. Transport Canada is switching to a licensing/registration system for the operation of RPAs.  UAlberta researcher using RPAs/drones in their studies must follow the new regulations.  Penalties can be imposed for not following the regulations and these are the responsibility of the research lab/operator who has violated the laws.  

The University of Alberta has general liability insurance coverage for those drones owned by the University and operated in accordance with the regulations. Please direct your questions to the Office of Insurance and Risk Assessment for more information.