Today, more than ever, we understand that leadership, like motivation comes from within. The challenge for leaders is how to create an environment where people are able to accomplish extraordinary results for themselves, their teams, their organizations and their customers/stakeholders. It requires self-awareness, daring and the ability to leverage individual strengths to suit the culture and context of the role.
This program will incorporate a number of adult learning methods: individual and small group work, reflection, personal diagnostic tools and inventories, video and skills practices to aid in mastery of the skills. The focus will be on individuals leaving the program with a theoretical understanding of leadership, the refinement of a personal philosophy around leadership and the start of a self-directed action plan for enhancing their own leadership skills.
What You Will Learn
- Introduce one “best practice” model of intentional leadership
- Understand Emotional Intelligence its relationship to effective leadership and to potential leadership derailers
- Appreciate your leadership strengths through a detailed leadership assessment including stress triggers and habits (MBTI® Step II)
- Hone your coaching and communication skills for different contexts – skills, performance and development coaching
- Know when and how to situationally flex your leadership/coaching style to empower and engage others
- Build your leadership plan
Who Should Attend?
- You are a manager or leader wanting to increase your business skills and build your business knowledge.
- You are a team or project manager who at times has to informally lead or influence others.
- You have a minimum of two years experience with a public or private sector organization.
Laurie Hillis has been teaching with University of Alberta's Executive Education for a number of years. Specializing in all areas of leadership development, Laurie has a particular passion in the areas of: organizational culture, executive coaching, change leadership, emotional intelligence, team effectiveness and succession challenges related to building a viable, diverse and engaged workplace for the future.
With a well-earned reputation as an interactive facilitator and coach, Laurie blends her practical, workplace experience with academic quests, bringing with her an ability to create a dynamic, positive learning environment. She is an accomplished writer on the topics of Leadership and Emotional Intelligence and has consulted to organizations in the public sector, private enterprise and not-for-profit.