Your actions speak louder than words when influencing the health habits of those around you. This course is designed for you personally so that you can enjoy eating healthy, being physically active, and having a sense of emotional wellbeing. A registered dietitian, exercise physiologist, and psychologist provide you with proven strategies garnered over many years of professional practice. You will see how the science of nutrition pairs with the art of eating. You will gain practical tools to improve your diet and inspire those around you. Getting and keeping physically active will be easier after you examine barriers, challenge personal attitudes about exercise, and explore the benefits of active living. You will learn how to foster emotional wellness through self-awareness, assertiveness, empathy, flexibility, and positive attitude.
Food as nourishment: changing our relationship with food
- Balancing meals, snacking strategically, being selective with carbohydrates, fortifying with protein foods, flavoring with healthy fats, getting protection from plant foods, getting fulfillment from food
- Examining personal barriers and attitudes to exercise and personal exercise behaviours
- Bringing active living into your life and taking it to the workplace
- Understanding the keys to peak performance and the components of emotional intelligence
- Recognizing, understanding and managing one’s feelings, emotions, and moods
- Practicing techniques to stay motivated
Joanne Siemens // Registered Dietitian
Joanne brings 20 years of experience as a registered dietitian to University of Alberta’s Executive Education. She is passionate about helping people achieve health and happiness through good food and healthy eating habits. For many years she ran corporate wellness programs and appeared on TV talk shows. She was an expert advisor on the Canada’s Food Guide released in January 2019.
Dr. Don Melnychuk // PhD, MEd
Dr. Don Melnychuk is a nationally recognized speaker who specializes in the areas of stress and fatigue management and motivation. He has done more than 1500 presentations over the last 21 years. Don holds a Ph.D. in Counselling Psychology from the University of Alberta and a M.Ed. in Applied Psychology from the University of Toronto.
Dr. Garry Wheeler // PhD, R.Psych.
Dr. Garry Wheeler holds a Ph.D. in Exercise Physiology, a M.Ed. in Educational Psychology, and M.Sc. in Exercise Physiology. He is an exercise physiologist and has recently retired from the psychology profession. Garry hails from England where he started his career as a PE teacher. Since then he has focused on the impact and importance of active living; he is an award-winning scientist and writer in the area. Garry currently teaches indoor cycling in his retirement.