Student Information

Student Procedures

Courses and Registration

Contacting the Student Services & Registration Desk »

Open enrolment

Students who wish to register for courses themselves can do so online (select your course, add to cart, then checkout online) or by contacting the Extension Student Services Office at (780) 492-3116.

Human Resource Development Funds (HRDF) Payments

University of Alberta non-academic staff employees who have been approved by Human Resources Development Fund (HRDF) can register by sending their completed registration form via campus mail to the Faculty of Extension Student Services Office 1-001 - 10230 Jasper Ave NW or via email at Courses fully paid by HRDF are considered Internal Sales and GST is not applied.

  • Students are responsible for the balance of tuition fees (and the remaining GST calculated on the balance) when the tuition exceeds the approved HRDF amount.

Indent payments

Faculty of Extension accepts University of Alberta Interdepartmental payments (Indents) for tuition. Send your completed registration form and signed Indent via campus mail to Faculty of Extension Student Services Office 1-001 - 10230 Jasper Ave NW or via email at

Invoice payment instructions

Students who are sponsored by their employer or other entity, must send a signed and completed course registration form and include either:

  • A Letter of Authorization on company letterhead, the letter must state that the University of Alberta is authorized to invoice for payment or
  • A Purchase Order that includes the student’s name(s), course name(s) and date(s), fees, and the printed name and written signature of an official with signing authority (not the student).
  • Alternatively, organizations can send a completed Letter of Authorization form
  • Invoice payment is accepted by cheque (payable to the University of Alberta), wire payment, electronic funds transfer (EFT), or credit card (Visa, American Express, MasterCard or Discover Card) in Canadian funds

Withdrawals, Refunds, and Transfers

Overview »

Students are responsible for their academic record. Changes requested, withdrawal or transfer, must be approved and/or initiated by the student. Students who do not formally withdraw from a course will be assigned a grade based on coursework completed. Students can withdraw from courses in two ways: Drop online via Bear Tracks (Academics > Drop) or submit a completed Course Withdrawal Request Form for processing to Please refer to the Refund, Withdrawal, and Transfer Deadlines.

Students should be aware that when they withdraw from a course at any time after the Cancel Deadline (5 days prior to the course start date), they have effectively occupied a place in the class. Since space in classes is limited, the faculty aims to ensure that as many opportunities as possible are left open for students seeking to register. The faculty treats all students in an equitable fashion adhering to the deadlines published.

Course Cancellations

Faculty of Extension reserves the right to cancel courses due to insufficient registration. We will make every effort to inform you of cancelled classes. Please ensure your address, phone number and email is kept current on your file (log into Bear Tracks to update your contact information). Notices of course cancellations are sent to your UofA email account.

Refund Method

  • Credit card and all online payments will be refunded to the source of the original payment.
  • Payments made in cash, cheque, money order, traveler cheque, bank draft or card present Interac payment will be issued refunds either by cheque or directly to the student bank account via direct deposit if you have provided this information on Bear Tracks.
  • Interdepartmental and Human Resource Development Fund payments will be refunded back to the originating department.
  • Invoice payments will be refunded back to the sponsoring organization.

Third Party Billing/Sponsorships

  • Any student whose fees are paid by another source is considered a third party/sponsored student.
  • Third Party Sponsors will be expected to adhere to University policies and the withdraw and refund policies outlined.
  • Students are responsible for advising the third party of any changes to the financial record after the initial billing.
  • In adherence with the FOIPP policy, any University of Alberta documentation which contains student personal information requires written student consent for release to a third party. Contact the Extension Student Service Office for further information.

Auditing a Course

Overview »

Enrol and participate in a class without the expectation that you will complete assignments or exams. Audited courses will not be considered as meeting prerequisite, course or program requirements. Student can complete the Audit Request form.

  • All forms are to be submitted to the Extension Student Service Office via fax at 780.492.0627 or by email
  • Applications must be received before the 20% Academic Drop deadline found on the bottom of your Fee Assessment/Course confirmation.
  • Your course Fee Assessment contains your class information: dates, textbook details, classroom location (note that not all courses take place at Enterprise Square), receipt of payment. Access it on Bear Tracks: (Financials > Fee Assessment > select the term and the course).
  • Once your status has been set to Audit, students cannot revert back to a credentialled student.
  • Audited courses will display on your Faculty of Extension transcript.

Course Type Definitions

  • In Person
    Classroom-based instruction
    Face-to-face, classroom-based instruction. Students may be required to access learning materials and submit assignments through UAlberta’s learning management system called eClass, including eTextbooks, if applicable.

  • Online
    Access on your own time, with a defined schedule for activities and assignments
    All course work is completed online. Course content is delivered through online learning resources and/or pre-recorded lectures. There will be a defined learning schedule to follow. All learning activities, resources and assignments are accessed through UAlberta’s learning management system called eClass.

  • Blended
    With real-time/live lectures and a defined schedule for activities and assignments
    Course content is delivered through a mix of online activities completed independently and real-time instruction. The location of the real-time instruction may be a) face-to-face, in a classroom; or b) online through a video-conferencing platform such as Zoom or Adobe Connect. There will be a defined learning schedule to follow. Core online activities, learning resources and assignments will be delivered through the UAlberta’s learning management system called eClass.

  • Pre/Post Assignment
    Some classes may have an assignment(s) due before or after your in-class learning component. If courses have a pre and/or post assignments, there will a note on your Fee Assessment/Course Confirmation notices. Further information will be communicated to you via your UofA email account and/or eClass. Access to the online component is provided through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.

If you're new to eClass, we strongly recommend prior to beginning your classes, you go through the eClass Orientation portion to both familiarize yourself with the eClass system, and ensure that your computer is best set-up to support your time online. Additional Information and resources can be found on the University of Alberta, Faculty of Extension eLearning Resources page.

Completing Your Program


Unless otherwise indicated, any student, regardless of residence, previous schooling or experience, may enrol in any of the part-time courses listed. All prerequisites or requirements indicated must be met. Students wishing to complete a program offered by the Faculty of Extension, must submit a completed Application for Admission form and provide any related documentation required in that program. Admission requirements vary based on the program.

  • Students who do not meet the admission requirements are invited to apply for program admission on a provisional basis.
  • Students who do not formally apply for admission to their selected program offered by the Faculty of Extension will not be eligible to graduate.
  • Admission fees are non-refundable.

Provisional Admission

  • Students who do not meet all of the admission requirements for their program will be admitted provisionally. This is a temporary classification which requires the student to complete their first two graded courses and maintain a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0.
  • Students who do not meet the provisional admission requirements after their second course should contact their program for discussion.
  • Students who are not formally admitted to their selected program offered by the Faculty of Extension will not be eligible to graduate.

International Students

The University of Alberta is a Government of Canada Designated Learning Institution and fully authorized to receive foreign nationals on a study permit for the eligible programs listed.

The following programs are eligible:

  • Master of Arts in Communications and Technology
  • Master of Arts in Community Engagement
  • English Language School Programs

The following are not eligible:

  • All other non-credit programs: diplomas, certificates, and citations.

Non-credit programs are not designated and are ineligible to receive foreign nationals on a study permit. 

For all information regarding immigration advising and study permits, please contact the University of Alberta's International Student Services Office.



Faculty of Extension programs can often be completed in one to three years of part-time study. You have up to eight years to complete your program, with the exception of the Occupational Health and Safety Certificate Program which has a six year completion requirement.

To maintain active status in your program, you must take a minimum of one course every two years. After two years, you will be required to apply for readmission (fee in effect July 1, 2019) to ensure that you are completing the current program curriculum.

Course hours and/or courses earned and transfer credits awarded will be re-evaluated for relevancy within the current curriculum.

Students will be required to comply with any new regulations and requirements upon resumption of their studies. Where a required course for a program is no longer offered, the Faculty may specify an alternate.

Course Prerequisites

  • Course prerequisites can be found in the course description.
  • Students registering in courses for which a prerequisite is listed must meet the prerequisite requirements. A grade of D is the minimum grade acceptable in a course which is to be used as a prerequisite. Note: Students must obtain a cumulative program GPA of 2.0 to be eligible for graduation.
  • The Faculty of Extension may cancel the registration of students in courses offered by the departments who do not meet the prerequisite requirements as stated in the course description. Where a prerequisite is stated the prerequisite requirements may be waived with the written approval of the program that offers the course. Students who are unsure that they meet the prerequisite requirements in a course, or who wish to obtain permission to have prerequisite waived, shall consult the program offering the course.

Program Changes

The Faculty of Extension makes every attempt to minimize the number of changes to the program of study (curriculum) for our programs. However, in order to maintain program relevancy and to respond to changes in the fields of study or in legislation, it is sometimes necessary to implement revisions. When changes are necessary, students who have been admitted to a program will be able to continue with the original program of study. In some cases, substitution of courses and/or hours may be required. Should students interrupt their studies for a period of 24 months or greater, hours and/or courses earned and transfer credits awarded will be re-evaluated for relevancy within the current curriculum. Students who have not been formally admitted to the program will be required to follow the revised curriculum. Therefore, students are strongly encouraged to apply for admission as soon as possible.

  • Students who have been formally admitted will be notified of any curriculum changes via their UofA email account. We will make every effort to plan future course offerings to ensure students are able to complete their current program requirements in a reasonable time.
  • Where a required course for a program is no longer offered, the Faculty may specify an alternate.
  • Students can review their academic requirements in Bear Tracks (Academics > Plan > Academic Requirements).

Professional Development Series Completion

There are no admission requirements or process students need to complete when pursuing a Faculty of Extension Professional Series. Once students have completed the required courses, it is the responsibility of the student to notify their programming office. Students may contact the program directly or send an email to Series completions are mailed to the current address on your student file, therefore, please maintain your contact information by reviewing and updating in Bear Tracks.

Transfer Credit

Transfer credit is assessed only after you have been admitted to your program. In all cases you must apply to your program of study before transfer credit will be assessed.

  • If you have completed a course from a recognized postsecondary institution, and that course is applicable to the program you have been admitted to, you may request to receive an exemption. To apply, complete a Transfer Credit Request form and submit it to your program office along with an official transcript, a course description, and an evaluation fee. The maximum amount of transfer credit (courses/hours) allowed for exemption shall not exceed a maximum of 50% of your specified program. Maximum transfer credit limits may be lower and are determined on a program-by-program basis. A limit of three transfer credit courses applies in several programs. Courses must have been taken within the past five years to be eligible for transfer credit. Additional information may be requested by the program office to determine eligibility of the transfer course. Contact your program office for more information on transfer credit and exemption requirements.
  • Courses granted credit will be considered on a credit no-credit basis only and will not be included in any grade point average calculation.


  • Students must be admitted to the applicable program of study in order to graduate; General Studies students do not qualify for graduation.
  • In those cases where more than 24 months have elapsed since the last registration in a Faculty of Extension program and the student wishes to graduate, the student will be required to contact the program office before applying for Graduation.
  • Students may be required to reapply for their program of study. Students should note they will be obligated to meet program requirements in effect at the time of readmission before graduation will be conferred.
  • Students admitted to a program of study can track their academic requirements in Bear Tracks (Academics > Plan > Academic Requirements).
  • Academic Standing for graduation - students must obtain a cumulative program GPA of 2.0. Those students who do not meet this requirement should contact their program to discuss.
  • For more information about the Faculty Graduation ceremonies, please visit our graduation page.

Transcript Submission

Not all programs require a transcript for admission; please check the program web page to confirm admission requirements.

If you previously attended the University of Alberta, you are not required to re-submit your transcripts.

Please do not submit any documents prior to completing your Faculty of Extension application.

Note that scanned and/or faxed documentation will not replace the official documents required.

All documents submitted in support of your application for admission become the property of the University of Alberta and will not be returned.

Do not submit irreplaceable documents unless otherwise requested. If documents are irreplaceable, please submit a certified true copy.

  • Certified true copies must be authorized by the issuing institution (e.g. a ministry of education office, university, college, or school). Certified true copies that are authorized by a governmental notary public agency in the issuing country may be considered.
  • In the event that a certified true copy is presented, the Faculty of Extension Student Service Office reserves the right to request the original document for verification upon your arrival.

All documents must be translated into English or French.

  • Documents issued in a language other than English or French must be accompanied by an official English translation.
  • Translations into other languages will not be accepted.

Costs, Tuition, and Fees

Paying for Your Courses

Accepted payment methods:

  • Online and over the telephone - Most major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover).
  • In person - Interac, cash, cheque, Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover, HRDF, Indent, and Invoice.

Non-instructional fees

  • Admission: $100
  • Readmission: $50
  • Withdraw: $75/course
  • Transfer: $75/course
  • Special/Deferred Exam: $100
  • Grade Appeals: $100
  • Duplicate Certificate: $100
  • Transfer Credit Fee: $125/course
  • Credit by Special Assessment - $125/assessment
    requires approval from the program office and is reviewed on a case-by-case basis; contact your program office for more information.

Financial Holds/Overdue Accounts

In any case where a student has neglected or refused to pay amounts owed to the University, the Registrar has been empowered and directed by the Board of Governors to deny or terminate registration and withhold their official transcript and/or official parchment, until the student has settled the account with the University or has made arrangements satisfactory to the University to do so. For example, the official parchment, or official transcript, may be withheld or registration denied if the student owes the University for library penalties or fines; for purchases at the University Bookstore; for parking or traffic violations; for breakage or damage to laboratory facilities or supplies; for student fees and University of Alberta Emergency Student Loans; for room and board fees; for fees for reexamination or deferred final examinations; or for fines imposed by the Discipline Officer or the University Appeal Board.

Delinquent accounts will be reported to the Credit Bureau and referred to a collection agency for recovery.

Scholarships, Awards, and Financial Support

  • Please see our Please see our Scholarships, Bursaries, and Awards page for details on any scholarships and awards.
  • Currently, continuing and professional education courses and programs do not qualify for provincial student loans or bursaries.
  • The Canada-Alberta Job Grant funding program provides funding for employers. Please refer to Canada-Alberta Job Grant website or your program office for more information.

Personal Records

Personal Information

  • Name Changes »
  • Legal Name or Primary Name
    Your University of Alberta record must contain your full legal name. This is the name that appears on legal documents such as your birth certificate or passport. Your legal name is also referred to as your primary name. Official documentation issued by the Extension Student Service Office will contain your legal name. Examples of these include Admission letters, Statements of Results, Official Transcripts, T2202A for tax purposes, and official parchments.
  • Changing Your Legal Name
    To change your legal name on your university record, you must complete a Name Change (PDF) form and provide acceptable supporting documentation. No legal name changes will be completed without the supporting documentation noted on the Name Change form. If you are changing your name in person, ensure you take your form to the appropriate office as noted on the form.
    NOTE: If you have an official parchment and you wish to have it reprinted in your new name, you must request this separately. Instructions on how to do so can be found on the Parchment Reprints form.
  • Preferred Names
    You may wish to provide the University with a preferred first or middle name. By entering your preferred name on Bear Tracks, you acknowledge and agree that the University, in the course of any communications and activities related to the use of your name, as determined by the University in its sole discretion, may use either your preferred first name or your legal first name. You acknowledge and agree that your preferred first name shall comply with all University policies and procedures and that the University may disallow, for any reason whatsoever, your choice of preferred name. Finally, you expressly acknowledge and agree that the University has no obligation, duty or liability to you, in any way whatsoever, respecting the use of either your preferred name or legal name in the course of any communications and activities.
  • Changing Your Preferred Name
    Current users of Bear Tracks can update their preferred first and middle name by selecting the 'Names' tab under the 'Personal Information' menu. Upon saving their changes, Bear Tracks users will see the changes immediately.


Obtaining your transcript »

T2202A Tax Forms (Tuition and Education Tax Credit)

T2202a’s prior to 2011 can be accessed by submitting a T2202a Reprint Request to the Extension Student Service Office.

  • Each student must determine their eligibility to use these tax credits on a personal income tax return based on their own circumstances.
  • No T2202A certificate is produced if total eligible fees are less than $100 for the tax year and there are no education tax benefits listed.
  • Only courses which work towards a certificate, citation and/or diploma qualify for education and tuition amounts.
  • To qualify for months of attendance, you must meet the above criteria and for Part-time credit, the class must be over 21 days of at least 12 hours a month of class instruction. Full-time, the class must be over 21 days and at least 10 hours per week of instruction.
  • For more details, please visit our website at

Please note: T2202a records will be held and printed for a period of seven years. For more information see: CRA Website

Verification Documents

Verification Documents are issued free of charge. Students normally request verification documents for the following reasons: 

  • proof of course completion for current employers
  • immigration - leaving and entering the country
  • student line of credit with their bank
  • RESPs set up through their bank
  • proof of credential for certain agencies (APEGA, BCRSP, CLGM, SCMA, etc.)
  • insurance or daycare purposes

Types of verification documents you can request:

Registration Verification

proof of your registration status (full-time or part-time) in the selected terms

Enrolment Verification Including Courses

proof of your registration status in the selected terms with a list of your enrolled courses

Enrolment Verification Including Courses and Grades

proof of your registration status in the selected terms with a list of your courses and final grades

Degree/Credential Verification

proof of your program completion and graduation. Note: if you have recently applied for a degree and a decision is still pending (i.e., your degree has not yet been awarded), you will not be able to request a Degree/Credential Verification document. Please Note: Professional Series completions do not display on this document.

Requesting a verification document:

Note: the Credential Verification is released only after any outstanding accounts with any department at the University of Alberta have been settled. Please review the Financial Holds/Overdue Accounts for more information.

  • Through Bear Tracks
    Students who have maintained online access can print the verification document directly through Bear Tracks or submit a request through Bear Tracks (under the 'Academics' menu, select 'Verification Documents').  You can download and print the verification document on Bear Tracks or have it sent by regular mail to your preferred address.
  • In person
    Extension Student Services Office, main floor of the Enterprise Square, 10230 Jasper Ave NW. A valid photo identification is required (University of Alberta ONEcard, passport, government issued photo identification or driver's license). 
  • By email
    Send your request to, and please include: 
  • Your name
  • Student ID number
  • Type of verification document (see above)
  • Term(s) desired
  • Number of copies
  • Address to where the Verification Document should be mailed
  • Your signature

Collection of Personal Information

Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act Information »

On September 1, 1999, the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act came into effect at the University of Alberta. The purpose of this Act is to allow any person a right of access to the records of the University, to control the manner in which the University may collect information from individuals, to control the use that the University may make of that information, to control its disclosure of that information, to allow individuals the right of access to information about themselves, to allow individuals a right to request corrections to their personal information and to provide for an independent review of decisions of the University made under this Act, and the resolution of complaints under this Act.

The University of Alberta creates and collects information for the purposes of admission, registration and other activities directly related to its education programs. All applicants for admission are advised that the information they provide, and any other information placed into the student record, will be protected and used in compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Additional information can be found on the Information and Privacy Office Website

Informed Consent for Disclosure of Personal Information:

The University of Alberta collects and protects personal information under the authority of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of operating the programs and services of the university. If you require the disclosure of your personal information to another person, designated agent or agency, legal counsel or other purposes, please complete the following informed consent document as required under the Act.

Please contact the Extension Student Service Office for access to the form.

Assessment and Grading Process

Process overview »


  • Classes are organized around highly participatory, learner-centered activities. Activities rely on regular student attendance and participation. Students learn by participating so regular attendance is expected. Students are responsible for obtaining handouts or other information missed due to absence. Absence from sessions may result in grade reductions.
  • In order to participate in classroom discussions and be eligible for a grade, students must have registered and tuition paid for the class.

Code of Student Behaviour

Overview »

Faculty of Extension students are required to follow the Code of Student Behaviour. The Code of Student Behaviour outlines information on academic and non-academic offenses and disciplinary procedures. Academic offenses include cheating and plagiarism. The Code of Student Behaviour can be found at

Code of Applicant Conduct

Overview »

Conduct by individuals seeking admission to the University of Alberta that compromises the integrity and fairness of assessment for admission threatens the proper functioning of the University. Procedures outlined in the Code of Applicant Behaviour relate only to Applicants.

GPA Calculation

Overview »

Students may not repeat any university course passed or courses for which they have received transfer credit for towards their program except for reasons deemed sufficient, and verified in writing, by the Dean.

In cases where a student contravenes the above, the Dean (or designate) may withhold course credit or indicate the course as Extra to Program, on the course registration that contravenes the regulation.

The first passing grade is used to complete program requirements and is used in calculating your program GPA. When a student repeats a course, the repeated course is considered extra to program.

Only those courses applicable to your program and completed at the Faculty of Extension will be used in your program GPA calculation.

Courses Extra to Program

Courses successfully completed while registered in a program in the Faculty of Extension which are not used for program credit are known as courses Extra to Program. Such courses are not included in your program GPA calculation.

Course Repeat Process

Students may not repeat any university course passed or courses for which they have received transfer credit for towards their program except for reasons deemed sufficient, and verified in writing, by the Dean.

In cases where a student contravenes the above, the Dean (or designate) may withhold course credit or indicate the course as Extra to Program, on the course registration that contravenes the regulation.

When students repeat a course, the first passing grade is used when calculating the program GPA. Each course successfully completed thereafter will be considered Extra to Program.

Incomplete Grades

The grade of "incomplete" (IN) is normally awarded when a student is prevented by illness, domestic affliction, or other extreme circumstance from submitting an assignment by the end of class. When a grade of IN is awarded, the student is required to submit the assignment within the agreed upon time period with the programming unit and/or course instructor. An extension can be granted, normally to a maximum of four months after the end of the class. If the assignment and/or coursework has not been submitted by the prescribed deadline, a failing grade will be posted based on the course grading scheme.

Grade Appeal Process

Grade appeal process »

Student Ombuds

The Office of the Student Ombuds is a confidential service that strives to ensure that university processes related to students operate as fairly as possible. The Student Ombuds offer information, advice, and support on academic, discipline, interpersonal, and financial issues. They are an office of University and Student’ Union staff.

The Office of the Student Ombuds participates in the development of University regulations and reports to the University on areas where there may be systemic unfairness in regulations or practices on campus.

For more information about the Faculty of Extension Grade Appel and Reappraisal procedures visit our website.


Conduct of Exams

  • Permitted References and Aids: Only those items specifically authorized by the instructor may be brought into the exam. The use of unauthorized personal listening, communication, recording, photographic and/or computational devices is strictly prohibited.
  • Registration: Students may not be present in an exam or write an exam in a course section in which they are not registered.
  • Communications: During the exam, all communications should be addressed to the instructor/supervisor. Students should not, under any circumstances, speak to or communicate with other candidates or leave their answer papers exposed to view.
  • Brief Absence from an Exam: Students who need to visit the washroom during an exam must leave their papers in the custody of the instructor/supervisor and retrieve it upon return.
  • Cancellation of Paper During Exam: If a student becomes incapacitated because of illness or receives word of domestic affliction during the course of an exam, the student should report at once to the Instructor/Supervisor, hand in the unfinished paper, and request that it be cancelled.
  • For final exams, the student must apply to their program for a deferred exam within two working days following the cancelled final exam or as soon as the student is able, having regard to the circumstances underlying the cancellation.
  • For other exams, instructors may use their discretion to request supporting documentation. The student must contact the instructor within two working days of the exam or as soon as the student is able, having regard to the circumstances underlying the cancellation and present supporting documentation to the instructor if requested.
  • Should a student write an exam, hand in the paper for marking, and later report extenuating circumstances to support a request for cancellation of the paper and for another exam, such request will not be accepted. Any student who requests a cancellation of their paper and subsequently applies for or obtains an excused absence by making false statements will be liable under the Code of Student Behaviour.
  • End of Exam: When the signal is given to end the exam, students must promptly cease writing. If a student does not stop at the signal, the instructor has the discretion either not to grade the exam paper or to lower the grade on the examination.
  • Note: Conduct which violates the rules of conduct for exams may also violate the Code of Student Behaviour. Amendments to the Code of Student Behaviour occur throughout the year. The official version of the Code of Student Behaviour, as amended from time to time is housed on the University Governance website at

Deferred Exams

Overview »

  • If you cannot write your examination at the scheduled time, a deferred examination may be granted by the instructor, subject to the approval of the program office. To write a deferred examination, you must first notify your instructor and then contact the program office. A fee will be assessed (Link to Fee Page).
  • Deferred examinations are written at Enterprise Square during regular business hours, and must take place within one week of the original exam date.
  • The University recognizes that occasionally life events occur that require a student to miss term work, term examinations, or final examinations. However, excused absences are not granted automatically and will be considered only for acceptable reasons such as incapacitating mental and/or physical illness, severe domestic affliction, or for circumstances as described in the University's Discrimination, Harassment and Duty to Accommodate Policy (including religious belief). This policy is available on the University of Alberta Policies and Procedures Online (UAPPOL) website at A multi-faith calendar is available at
  • Unacceptable reasons include, but are not limited to personal events such as vacations, weddings, or travel arrangements. When a student is absent without acceptable excuse, a final grade will be computed using a raw score of zero for the work missed. Any student who applies for or obtains an excused absence by making false statements will be liable under the Code of Student Behaviour.

Student Services

Contact an advisor »

Faculty of Extension Holidays and Closures

The Faculty of Extension follows the statutory holidays and winter closure times for the University of Alberta.

Faculty of Extension Building Information

The Faculty of Extension is located in Enterprise Square 10230 Jasper Ave NW. The building hours* are as follows:

  • Monday to Friday - 6:00 am to 11:00 pm
  • Saturday, Sunday and holidays - 7:00 am to 9:00 pm

*Subject to change

Building Map/Classroom Locations

  • ENT - Enterprise Square, 10230 Jasper Ave NW
  • ED - Education Centre
  • ECHA - Edmonton Clinic Health Academy
  • HC - Humanities Centre

Off Site classroom locations are listed in the class notes on your Fee Assessment/Course confirmation Notice, examples of some off site locations are:

  • Cold Lake AB
  • Jasper AB
  • EHS Partnerships Ltd - 4303 11 St SE, Calgary AB
  • Mount Royal University - 4825 Mount Royal Gate SW, Calgary AB
  • Enform - 5055 11 St NE, Calgary AB
  • University of Alberta, Calgary Centre - 120-333 5th Ave SW, Calgary AB

Your Campus Computing ID Access

Bear Tracks Resources

  • Bear Tracks is the University of Alberta’s online service that provides students, applicants, employees, and instructors access to their personal information in a safe and secure manner. This includes financial information, class fee assessments/confirmations, tuition tax receipts, grades, and allows you to update your personal information. You can log onto bear tracks at
    • Student Centre
    • Academics
    • Financials
    • Personal Information

eClass Resources

  • Faculty of Extension learners in fully online or blended courses use eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool, to access their course content and connect with fellow learners and instructors.
  • If you are new to online learning, please consider participating in the eClass Orientation.
  • Additional information can be found on the eLearning Resources Website at: eLearning Resources

University Email Correspondence

  • Electronic Communications Policy
    The University of Alberta uses and will use electronic communication with its students and applicants in lieu of many paper-based processes. "Electronic communication" includes anything that is created, recorded, transmitted or stored in digital form or in any other intangible form by electronic, magnetic or optical means or by any equivalent means. Currently, this most often includes information communicated by email and via a website.
    Electronic communication will be subject to the same policies on information disclosure as other methods of communication (see Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy section - link to FOIPP Page). The laws of Alberta will apply to all electronic transactions and communications involving the University of Alberta.
  • Key Points Regarding Electronic Communications
  • All students and applicants are assigned a University of Alberta Campus Computing ID (CCID) with email privileges. The email address originally assigned by the University is the email address to which communications will be sent.
  • Check your email at least once a week.
  • See the Information Services and Technology (IST) website for detailed information on CCIDs, conditions of use and related privileges.
  • You must advise IST immediately of any problems encountered with university email accounts by contacting the IST Help Desk or calling 780-492-9400.
  • We recommend that you do not forward your University directed e-mail to other non-University email addresses (such as those provided by Hotmail, Yahoo, Shaw, TELUS, etc.). You could miss important communications that may affect your university career.
  • Failure to receive or read University communications sent to the University email address in a timely manner does not absolve students and applicants from knowing, responding to or complying with the content of that communication.

Wireless Access

  • When connecting to wireless at the U of A, users can connect to Guest@UofA or UWS. Ensure you have the optimal wifi experience by connecting to the wireless service that’s right for you:
  • Guest@UofA allows visitors at the university to connect to our free wireless network. Visitors can check their emails, participate in conferences and simply browse the web. This connection is restricted and offers a limited bandwidth per user—lower bandwidth can result in a slower web experience when downloading or accessing large files. Guest@UofA will also request the user agree to wireless terms at the start of each new session prior to browsing.
  • UWS is the U of A’s official wireless connection for users with a valid UAlberta CCID, which includes students, faculty members and staff. UWS offers users a full-featured web experience and a faster internet connection. Connecting to UWS once ensures you’re automatically connected wherever you are on campus—including Light Rail Transit (LRT) platforms.

Bringing Your Own Device (BYOD)

The Faculty of Extension Open Doors classroom space (2nd floor Enterprise Square) is Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) enabled. BYOD means that you can bring your own portable technology (laptop, netbook, tablet, or smartphone) and connect to the internet via the campus WiFi.

BYOD will enable you to use your own device to conduct research, take notes, and pursue topics that are part of your courses. Using your own device means working with a familiar device and one you can continue working on once at home or at work. You will also be able to collaborate with fellow students outside our learning spaces.

Campus WiFi

  • network name: ‘UWS’
  • log in with your CCID and password

Charging Your Devices

It is best to come with your device fully charged. If your device needs charging, there are numerous electrical outlets within the corridors of the Open Doors central areas, including USB outlets, distributed throughout the student spaces. Remember to bring your power cord.

You can charge your device before class, at lunch, or during breaks. Please do not leave devices unattended at any time. Safety is a priority at the University of Alberta. Phones left on the floor or power cords hanging from tables are tripping hazards, so charging will not be allowed during class time.

Some of our courses are computer assisted. These courses include computer-based activities, and you may need to download software in advance of the course start date to maximize your learning. If you plan on using your own device, ensure that the course-required software is loaded and your device is charged before coming to class.

Not bringing your own device? Designated courses will have access to the Faculty of Extension's suite of 20 laptops for students attending class without their own devices.

Library Services

Gym Services


  • In Edmonton, students can purchase their textbooks at the University of Alberta Bookstore
  • If textbooks or course materials are required for your course, this will be noted in Bear Tracks. Textbooks are not included in course fees and can be purchased at the University of Alberta Bookstore, Student Union Building, 8900 – 114 Street 780.492.4215 or visit for more information).


International Students


  • In Enterprise Square, a private security company is employed during building hours to ensure a safe learning environment. Operating from an around-the-clock security desk, they monitor a system of security cameras functioning throughout the building in Enterprise Square. They are also available to escort you to your vehicle, bus stop, or Light Rail Transit (LRT) station within a two-block radius of the building. To obtain a security escort, call 780.428.1541. You may also make arrangements in person at the security desk, located on the main floor (just east of the Student Service Office) of Enterprise Square.

Career and Placement Services (CAPS)

  • CAPS, Your University of Alberta Career Centre, is pleased to provide a complete range of services, including online job postings, to Faculty of Extension students. Other services include workshops, seminars, and resources that can help students with work search, resume writing, interview skills, career exploration and more. Information on all of these services and access to online job postings can be found at This online job postings service is easy to use and puts you in control with a convenient search function that allows you to narrow or widen your search.

Associate Alumni Status

UPASS transit pass