The faculty Women's Club had its beginnings in November 1933. Then U of A President, Dr. R.C. Wallace and his wife Elizabeth felt there was a need for faculty wives to get to know each other socially and to enjoy some social gatherings. With clear objectives and an approved constitution, the Faculty Women's Club was officially launched on January 20, 1934. It was open to women staff members, wives of staff above a demonstrator, and wives of academic officers.
History 1933 - 1983
The first detailed history of the Faculty Women's Club was written by Shelia Petersen in 1984; with research assistance from Muriel Affleck, Dorothy Alderman, Dorothy Ayer, Jean Bellow, and Esther Kreisel.
Their story of the first fifty years of the club is available here:
Story of the Faculty Women's Club (1933-1983)
Another through description of the Faculty Women's Club activities was penned by Norma Gutteridge for the 75th Anniversary of the club. Her story is available here:
A Further Chapter in the Story of the Faculty Women's Club (1984-2009)