What are the Benefits of Being Active?
The following are benefits you will receive from incorporating even a minimal level of activity into your daily routine.
- Better overall health
- Improved fitness
- Improved posture and balance
- Improved self esteem
- Weight control
- Stronger muscles and bones
- Increased levels of energy
- Relaxation and reduced stress
- Continued independent living in later life
What are the Health Risks of Inactivity?
- Premature death
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Adult on set diabetes
- Colon Cancer
What Counts as Activity?
Anything that moves you! It is suggested that 10,000 steps a day will assist you in maintaining a healthy lifestyle, 12,000 – 15,000 steps a day will assist your body’s ability to burn calories. Don’t be discouraged if your daily steps are no where close to 10,000. The idea is to gradually increase your steps over time until you reach a target that you are comfortable with.
Try one of these activities to get yourself started;
- Organized sports
- Individual activity (running, jogging, working out at the gym)
- Taking the stairs instead of the elevator
- Walking to speak to a coworker instead of sending an email
- Parking at the farthest part of the car park
- Walking your dog
- Playing with your kids
- Vigorous housework (i.e. vacuuming, washing windows/floors)
- Home renovation projects
- Shoveling your walk
- Grocery shopping
It is recommended that you consult with a medical professional prior to beginning any fitness program, particularly if you answer yes to one or more of the following questions;