Purpose and Intended Audience
Human Resource Services - Organizational Development, Equity and Health in collaboration with the Excellence Canada (formerly the National Quality Institute) is pleased to offer an introductory course in Business Process Mapping to enable facilitation in process mapping.
In times of restraint the need to find administrative efficiencies is imperative! This easy-to-learn method gives you a quick way to examine processes without the need for expensive consultants. Business Process Maps are effective tools for helping your team gain efficiencies and save time and money by identifying redundancies, removing duplication of effort, increasing understanding of key process steps and responsibilities, and eliminating rework.
The Introductory Course is intended for employees, managers and quality professionals responsible for increasing the effectiveness of their workgroup or organization.
The Introduction to Business Process Mapping Snapshot
The Introduction to Business Process Mapping (BPM) course empowers participants to facilitate process mapping in their own units without an outside facilitator.
The full-day course is facilitated by University of Alberta staff who are certified through Excellence Canada.
- The definition of a process
- How to facilitate process mapping
- How to define processes in terms of suppliers, inputs, process, outputs, and customers
- How to map processes at three levels of detail (Level 1, 2 and 3 process maps)
- How to use process mapping to facilitate process improvement
Why Get Involved?
- Workplace Transfer - The topics, tools, activities and discussions will help you deal with real workplace situations and transfer what you learn to new situations.
- Efficiencies - The mapping experience is practical, relevant and will help you get clarity around how to streamline and improve processes right away.
- Engagement - This program is intended to help units maximize communication among stakeholders and gain employee commitment to achieve success
Participants are expected to attend the one full day Introductory Course in its entirety.
Managers are expected to:
- Support the participation of the employee in the course
- Provide support to the participant to apply the mapping process in the unit
What are people saying about the Introductory Business Process Mapping Course?
"An easy way to understand the inefficiencies in work place processes."
"I liked that the topic was presented in the broad sense and in such a way that you would be able to adapt it to your needs."
"Learning a straight-forward tool that's useful for mapping, analyzing and improving processes."
"It promotes engagement in your work environment and encourages to seek improvement through process mapping. It also reinforces that process maps do not need to be static but should seek continuous improvement through feedback loops."
"The outcome of this course - being able to map business process - is critical to many aspects of our operations. I have already talked to two people about mapping the work they are doing to integrate into our onboarding process."
"Keep up the good work! I really enjoyed this session and learned lots of things that can be applied in lots of aspects of my job / working environment."
Desired State Process Mapping
This full-day course is facilitated by University of Alberta staff who are certified through Excellence Canada. Participants MUST complete the introductory course (above) prior to taking this course.
- Review of concepts from the Intro to Business Process Mapping course
- Tools for analyzing current state process maps
- Tools for getting clarity on desired state
- How to facilitate the construction of desired state process maps
Business Process Mapping Resources
Check back for links, completed process maps and other resources.