The University of Alberta is committed to providing an environment where faculty, staff and students can not only excel but flourish. In recognition of the critical importance of the quality of the work and learning environment, and the impact this has on the academic experience, the Excellence in Leadership Award has been established. The award is intended to recognize outstanding leaders or leadership teams for their awareness of and attention to issues and concerns that impact the quality of the work and learning environment.
Nominees must be performing a leadership role (e.g. Dean, Director, Chair or Manager) for a period of at least 12 consecutive months. Leadership teams must be comprised primarily of individuals at these levels.
Any staff member can nominate an eligible colleague or leadership team. The nomination must be supported by at least two additional staff members. Nominations for the award will be accepted March 1st through May 31st.
A maximum of two awards will be presented annually. Award recipients will be announced in the fall and honourees will be formally recognized at the Celebration of Service.
A monetary award of $4000.00 will be presented for the faculty/department or work unit, to be used to further enhance the quality of work life.
In order for a leader or leadership team to be considered by the selection committee, the nominator must demonstrate how the nominee meets the following criteria.
Please keep responses to each of the criteria to no more than 500 words each. Nominators may also submit any appropriate supporting documentation.
- How has the nominee(s) exhibited a commitment to policies and practices that support a quality work and learning environment?
- Please illustrate how the nominee(s) demonstrates innovation and creativity in providing opportunities to support work life harmony.
- How does the nominee(s) foster a supportive and collegial team environment?
- By what means does the nominee(s) exhibit innovative and proactive leadership?
- Describe how the nominee(s) demonstrates exemplary relationship building both within and outside of the faculty, department or work unit.
The Selection Committee is looking to gain an understanding of who the nominee is through the nomination. Successful submissions will be chosen from those nominations that articulate how the nominee meets and exceeds the criteria through examples and personal stories.
Nomination packages must be submitted complete with the Nomination Form no later than May 31st.
Nominations for the awards will be reviewed by a selection committee chaired by HRS, Organizational Development, Equity and Health.