This award is specifically designed to recognize members of the University community whose role does not involve teaching, but who nonetheless directly and significantly contribute to the student learning experience.
All non-teaching staff members in positions that have provided support to the learning experience of students within the last year are eligible for this annual award. Examples include but are not limited to Student Advisors, Student Service Officers, Lab Coordinators, Lab Technicians, Co-op Coordinators, IST Technical Support Staff and Librarians. Awards will be presented in each of the following categories should the number and caliber of nominations warrant:
- Classroom or Laboratory Services
- Technical Assistance and Support
- Off Campus Placement Services
- Student Advisory Services
- Non-teaching Faculty
- Administrative Professional Officers
Nominations are to be received between February 1st and April 30th.
Presentations to award recipients will be made annually at the Celebration of Service.
In order for a nominee to be considered by the selection committee, the nominator must demonstrate how the nominee meets the following criteria. Please keep responses to each of the criteria to no more than 350 words each. Nominators may also submit any appropriate supporting documentation.
- The nominee demonstrates an active and positive record of service to students in their capacity and is willingly available to students for advice and guidance.
- The nominee consistently demonstrates sensitivity to and respect for students.
- The nominee promotes active learning and successfully encourages students to think-imaginatively, critically, and independently.
- The nominee interacts enthusiastically and effectively with students using opportunities productively to promote learning and address individual student needs.
- The nominee looks for innovative methods enhance the teaching and learning experience.
The Selection Committee is looking to gain an understanding of who the nominee is through the nomination. Successful submissions will be chosen from those nominations that articulate how the nominee meets and exceeds the criteria through examples and personal stories.
Nomination packages must be submitted complete with the Nomination Form between February 1st and April 30th. The nominator must be a student currently enrolled at the University of Alberta. Letters of support from at least two additional members of the campus community knowledgeable about the nominee's contributions must also be included.
Nominations for the awards will be reviewed by a selection committee chaired by HRS, Organizational Development, Equity and Health.