The purpose of a Family Medicine Summer Studentship is to enable promising students to experience quality research in a family medicine setting. To ensure a quality research experience, the project should be well thought out and developed in advance of the summer student starting.
Projects & Applications
The Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry's Undergraduate Summer Student Research Program
is open to both medical and science students. Prospective summer students have the opportunity to apply for the project of their interest and meet with the prospective project supervisor(s). The selected medical student, together with the supervisor, can then apply to the Alberta Innovates - Health Solutions (AIHS) for summer studentship funding
. This process is administered by the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry's Office of Research. AIHS considers the student, the project, the supervisor's research record, and the letter of support in making awards.
The number and type of summer student research projects within the Department of Family Medicine will vary from year to year. Contact us for further information.
Duration (May-August), a maximum of four months.
- Project Summary Form-(To be completed by Project Investigator in November)
- Interview Student Applications-(Interviews to be conducted by Project Investigator in December or early January)
- AIHS Application - (Due mid January at the Office of Research, Department of Family Medicine)
- Results of AHFMR applications made known - (Early to mid April)
- May/June-August period of summer studentship-(Regular supervision required by project supervisor)
- Report /abstract write-up by summer student-(Poster or oral presentation at "Students Research Day in October")