Alcohol Events

The University of Alberta holds various classes of liquor license in facilities across five campuses, including sports facilities, theatres, recreational facilities, conference centres, meeting rooms, and numerous academic spaces.

To ensure compliance with its license and maintain a safe, comfortable, and secure campus environment, the university is responsible for managing all aspects of liquor service, including approval of special events with alcohol organized by departments, faculties, administrative units, and registered student groups.

University of Alberta groups

University of Alberta groups must apply for permission to hold an event involving alcohol in the name of the University of Alberta at either an on-campus or off-campus location. More information about event requirements is available on the Policy & Procedures page. Alberta Gaming, Liquor & Cannabis (AGLC) enforces strict rules in Alberta about advertising an alcohol event; it is important for event organizers to be aware of them.

AGLC developed the Under 25 policy to ensure liquor is not sold or provide to minors. This policy stipulates that licensee staff are required to ask for proof of age whenever a person who appears to be under 25 years of age attempts to purchase liquor or enter a licensed premises where minors are prohibited.

Staff can apply online for permission for an alcohol event for their department, faculty, or administrative unit. Please fill out the online application at least 10 business days prior to the scheduled event.

Registered student groups (including graduate student associations) that wish to organize an alcohol event need appropriate training and must apply through BearsDen for event approval at least 15 full business days prior to the scheduled event. Please see the Current Students website or contact the Student Event Risk Management Coordinator for more information.

Off-campus events

The University of Alberta Alcohol Policy requires groups to apply for permission to organize or host any alcohol event in the name of the University of Alberta, even when the event is held off campus at licensed locations such as hotels, bars, or restaurants. To apply for permission, please review the relevant policies and procedures and then fill out the appropriate staff or student application.

External groups

Outside groups planning an event on a University of Alberta campus may need to provide their own Special Event License and insurance. Please view resources here for more information about hosting an alcohol event on campus.

More information about the University of Alberta's alcohol policy is available on the UAPPOL Alcohol Policy page.


Employees, Students

Safety & Security, Administrative
VP Services & Finance