You can elevate the student experience by contributing to the renovation of Convocation Hall.
Convocation Hall is the laboratory for music students and is as essential to their success as a chemistry or computer lab is for science studies. It is where students refine their musical skills and learn how to prepare for a big performance, connect with an audience and showcase their talent.
Located in the historic Arts Building, Convocation Hall is a beautiful venue. However, renovations are needed to create a learning, teaching and performance space that matches the university’s outstanding music program and the high aspirations of U of A students. Renting other venues in Edmonton is expensive and challenging to book around students’ busy schedules.
Like other students, music students need a well-functioning lab on campus: a modernized performance space. With your generosity, students will reach their potential as the next generation of outstanding music educators, composers and performers.
Create a Premier Concert Hall
The U of A has a plan to revitalize Convocation Hall, a vital learning space on campus. The $12-million renovation will change the venue from a community gathering space to a first-rate performance space.
- Enhanced acoustics will enable musicians to understand the audience experience from the stage, improving their performance.
- Lowered stage and new tiered theatre seating will strengthen the visual connection between performer and audience.
- Enhanced backstage, including new dressing rooms, will help students better prepare for their big moment.
- New mechanical and electrical systems located away from acoustically sensitive areas will reduce noise in the hall and increase comfort for everyone.
- Better lighting and additional soundproofing will enhance the experience for performers and audience
How to Help
Having a recital hall on campus is essential to the continued success of U of A students and to the strength of the local music community. And your contribution is critical to making the renovation of Convocation Hall a reality. The U of A has allocated $4 million towards the Convocation Hall renovation. A total of $8 million in community support is needed by Decemeber 31, 2019 to leverage this funding