With your minimum contribution of $25,000 in cash, securities or a combination of both, you can create a charitable gift annuity — allowing you to make a gift to the University of Alberta while receiving a guaranteed, fixed income for life.
The university’s charitable gift annuity program is tailored to you and your unique circumstances. It allows you to support students and researchers right now, while receiving income to support yourself and/or another beneficiary.
Beneficiaries of a charitable gift annuity must be at least 65 years old.
Make it Happen:
- Make a financial contribution to UAlberta.
- The university uses your contribution to purchase a life annuity from a highly rated insurance company.
- The annuity will provide guaranteed payments to you and/or another beneficiary for life. The amount of your payment is based on your age, the amount you contribute and the annuity rate.
Other benefits to you include:
- More predictable payments than GICs or bonds
- Tax receipt at the time the contribution is made, usually between 25% and 30% of your contribution
- Payments to you and/or another beneficiary are automatic and can be quarterly, semi-annually or annually
- A substantial portion of the payments will be tax-free, as a portion of each payment represents a return of capital
Contributions of cash, securities or combination of both are welcome
Immediate tax receipt for charitable portion of contribution
How it Works
A 70-year-old donor makes a $50,000 contribution to UAlberta for a charitable gift annuity:
- He receives tax-free payments of $2,250 annually for the rest of his life.
- His charitable gift to UAlberta equals $12,500 (the $50,000 contribution minus $37,500 — the cost to purchase the annuity).*
* This is an illustration only and not guaranteed.