Do you hold any positions outside the clinic?
Assistant Clinic Professor, Division of Orthopaedics, Department of Surgery, University of Alberta and Facility Medical Director, Sturgeon Community Hospital.
What is your clinical speciality?
- Joined the Glen Sather Sports Medicine Clinic as a consultant in 2008.
- Specializes primarily in disorders of the shoulder, with the arthroscopic treatment of shoulder disorders comprising the majority of his clinical practice.
- Is a member of the orthopaedic upper extremity service at the Sturgeon Community Hospital, and also cares for traumatic injuries of the shoulder, elbow and wrist.
- Has an interest in health care program development and leads the occupational shoulder program at the Workers' Compensation Board of Alberta and is an orthopaedic consultant to WorkSafeBC.
- Assumed the role of Facility Medical Director for the Sturgeon Community Hospital in 2012.
- Is an attending orthopaedic surgeon at the False Creek Surgical Centre in Vancouver.
What did you study and where?
- Graduated from medical school in 1997 from the University of Manitoba.
- Completed a residency in orthopaedic surgery at the University of Saskatchewan, receiving his fellowship from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in 2002.
- Received further clinical training in Edmonton in disorders of the shoulder, beginning in 2002.
- After a year in Edmonton he moved to Calgary for further clinical training in disorders of the elbow and wrist.
- While in Calgary, he completed a Master of Science in Clinical Epidemiology.
- Beginning in January 2011 and finishing in late 2012, Dr. Sheps attended the University of British Columbia, where he undertook a Master of Business in Health Care Administration.
Do you have any specific research interests and publications?
- Co-founder and active member of the Shoulder and Upper Extremity Research Group of Edmonton (SURGE).
- Member of the Joint Orthopaedic Initiative for National Trials of the Shoulder (JOINTS), a national shoulder research group.
- Participated in the Young Investigator's Initiative sponsored by the United States Bone and Joint Decade in 2009 and 2010.
- Research interests include clinical outcomes of the treatment of shoulder and upper extremity disorders, the development of clinical pathways and treatment programs for both non-occupational and occupational shoulder disorders, and the epidemiology of shoulder and upper extremity injuries and disorders.
Are you affiliated with any teams?
Consultant to the National Hockey League Players’ Association.