What is your role at the GSSMC?
Sport and Exercise Medicine Physician
Do you hold any positions outside the clinic?
- Family Physician
- Orthopedic Hospitalist Physician
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Family Medicine, University of Alberta
What is your main area of practice?
Sport and exercise medicine (CCFP - SEM, CASEM - Dip. Sports Med)
What did you study and where?
- Post Graduate Residency Enhanced Skills Program (Sport and Exercise Medicine). University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. (2016-2017)
- Post Graduate Residency in Family Medicine. University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. (2014-2016)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD). University of Hawaii, John A. Burns School of Medicine, HI, USA .(2010-2014)
- Master of Arts (History). University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. (2005-2007)
- Bachelor of Arts (Psychology). Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI, USA. (2000-2004)
Do you have any specific research interests & publications?
- “Geographical Maldistribution of Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander Physicians in Hawaii”. Hawaii Journal of Medicine and Public Health, April, 2012.
- “Investigating the Joys and Challenges of Rural Medicine: A Student Perspective”. Hawaii Journal of Medicine and Public Health, January, 2012.
- “The Utility of Sport Medicine Physicians in and Orthopedic Triage Program”. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine. Prospective publishing date: 2017-2018.
Conference Poster Presentations:
- “The Utility of Sport Medicine Physicians in and Orthopedic Triage Program”. Canadian Academy of Sport and Exercise Medicine, Mont Tremblant, QC. March 3, 2017.
- “The Utility of Sport Medicine Physicians in and Orthopedic Triage Program”. Annual Scientific Assembly, Alberta College of Family Physicians, Banff, AB. March 3, 2017.
- ”Rural Exposure in Medical School: The Answer to a Crisis in Rural Medicine?”. Hawaii Academy of Family Physicians, Honolulu, HI. February 25, 2012.
- “Investigating the Joys and Challenges of Rural Medicine: A Student Perspective”. American College of Physicians, Kaneohe, Hawaii. January 7, 2012.
Do you work specific days/hours?
Are you affiliated with any teams?
During training I was affiliated with the University of Alberta Golden Bears Hockey Team and Edmonton Huskies Football Team. I am not currently affiliated with a team, but occasionally fill in games for my colleagues when they are away.
What is your favourite way to stay active?
Running, hockey, biking.