What is the GLA:D Canada program?
Based on Good Life with Osteoarthritis in Denmark, the GLA:D Canada program is a nationwide evidence-based initiative that follows the current recommendations for the treatment of hip and knee osteoarthritis. In Denmark, this program has been shown to have the potential to improve the quality of life of patients living with mild, moderate and severe osteoarthritis, and may delay or prevent the need for surgical intervention.
What does the program include?
- Assessment by a registered physiotherapist certified to administer the GLA:D Canada program
- Two one-and-a-half hour long education sessions one week apart
- Twelve one-hour long supervised group exercise classes held two afternoons per week
- Data will be collected from participants regarding function, quality of life and level of discomfort on three separate occasions (pre-program, three months and 12 months after completion of the program)
Who can participate?
Individuals who experience symptoms resulting from hip and/or knee osteoarthritis (e.g. pain, limited function, decreased quality of life) are eligible to participate in the program.
Cost to patients
The cost of the program is $400 CAD. The GLA:D Canada program is a physiotherapist-delivered program.
- May 16 - July 6
- Sept 12 - Nov 2
Individuals who may not be able to participate in the program are those with:
- Hip and/or knee problems resulting from other suspected reasons, including but not limited to: tumor, inflammatory joint disease, and soft tissue or connective tissue problem
- Other symptoms that are more pronounced than the osteoarthritis problems (ex. chronic pain or fibromyalgia)
- Inability to understand and communicate English (due to strong emphasis on the educational component of the program)
*Note: x-rays to confirm osteoarthritis are NOT required to participate in the program
Rhonda Highland is a Glen Sather Sports Medicine Clinic GLA:D-trained physiotherapist.
GLA:D is brought to you by:
- Alberta Health Services
- Bone and Joint Health Strategic Clinical Network
- University of Alberta, Glen Sather Sports Medicine Clinic
- University of Alberta, Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine
In partnership with:
- Bone and Joint Canada
- The Arthritis Society
- Alberta Bone & Joint Health Institute
For more information about the GLA:D Canada program, visit gladcanada.ca.
For more information about participating in the GLA:D Canada program at the Glen Sather Sports Medicine Clinic, please call 780-407-5160.