Service with Cross-Cultural Agency in Canada

You may satisfy the intercultural experience requirement by working with a cross-cultural agency in Canada for 100 or more hours.

Does the placement have to be a paid work?

No, you may work or volunteer.

Where can I work?

Placements must be where:

  • Intercultural communication and relationship-building is a central part of the unit or organizational mandate
  • You have regular, face-to-face interactions with individuals from a different cultural background
  • You can solicit advice or guidance from staff members with expertise in intercultural communication

 Please note: Service with a student group does not typically count.

Can the CIL help me find a placement?

No. The Certificate in International Learning does not arrange, nor guarantee placements. You are required to secure your own placement.

Previous students have:

  • Assisted with immigrant-refugee settlement at the Mennonite Centre for Newcomers, Catholic Social Services or similar agency
  • Worked with youth (in a program that specifically targets newcomer youth) as part of Big Brothers and Big Sisters, the Boys and Girls Club or similar agency
  • Taught English as Second Language
  • Worked with seniors (in a program that target seniors from different cultural backgrounds)
  • Organized youth programming on a Metis settlement in Northern Alberta
  • Worked with social justice organizations to assist a specific cultural population (i.e. the Elizabeth Fry Society's Aboriginal Women's Program) 

Your placement should be approved in advance by the CIL office. Please contact us with details of your proposed placement prior to beginning.

Once you have completed your placement, you need to make a claim in the CIL database. For more information on making claims, visit our Resources page.

I worked 50 hours with one organization and 50 with another. Can I combine my experiences?

No, placements may not be combined to reach the 100 hour threshold.