GSA Services and Resources for GSA Members

Mental Health Resources

Below is a non-exhaustive list of mental health services available to U of A graduate students. For information about additional services, please visit here.

GSA Services

GSA Graduate Student Assistance Program (GSAP)

  • Established for graduate students through a referendum in 2008, GSAP provides confidential professional counselling for a broad range of personal problems including managing anxiety and depression, controlling substance use, resolving family conflict, and more.

  • Homewood Health Solutions' health professionals are registered psychologists or master's-level registered counsellors, chosen for their extensive experience dealing with a variety of psychological and health issues.

GSA Health and Dental Plan

U of A Services

U of A Counselling and Clinical Services

  • For up-to-date information about mental health services provided by the office of Counselling and Clinical Services, including location, office hours, and the variety of services they offer please visit:

  • Counselling and Clinical Services also offers a number of drop-in workshops and group programs, including a graduate student support group. Group sessions are added or removed throughout the year. Check the Group Therapy section of Counselling and Clinical Services website for a current list.

  • After contacting Clinical and Counselling Services, they will:
    • provide an Initial Consultation where a registered professional meets with the student to provide a therapeutic experience and information,
    • conduct a mental health needs and risks assessment, and
    • determine acuity level and connect individuals to appropriate services, both within Clinical and Counselling Services or in other areas.

Note: Before making an appointment with the psychologist, a 30-60 minute initial assessment must be done. Initial assessments can be done on a walk-in basis in person at Counselling and Clinical Services or by calling 780-492-5205.

U of A Community Social Work Team

  • The Community Social Work Team is overseen by the Office of the Dean of Students, and provides support to students in connecting to each other, the campus community, and to resources on and off campus. The Team is supported by a grant from the Province of Alberta for mental health initiatives on campus.

  • For the most up to date information on the U of A Community Social Work Team, visit: