Associate Dean (Awards & Scholarships)
Dr. Raivio is a Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Alberta. Her research program strives to understand how beneficial and disease-causing bacteria survive and grow in our bodies. Previously, Dr. Raivio was the Associate Chair of Graduate Studies in the Department of Biological Sciences. She is passionate about the integral role that graduate students play in the teaching and research missions of the University of Alberta, as one of the top university in Canada.
She enjoys being active outdoors in nature all seasons, reading mystery and thriller novels, cooking, eating, and spending time family and friends.
Dr. Raivio is a University of Alberta alumna and received her BSc specializing in Genetics from the Department of Biological Sciences. She completed a PhD in Microbiology and Infectious Diseases at the University of Calgary and a post-doctoral fellowship in Molecular Biology at Princeton University.
Responsibilities as Associate Dean (Teaching & Learning):
- As the Graduate Scholarship Committee Chair, I am responsible for selecting and/or approving recipients of graduate awards offered by the University of Alberta and administered by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR);
- I also oversee the creation of all new graduate awards and scholarships at the University of Alberta;
- I provide advice, guidance, and support to graduate students, supervisors, and graduate student program administrators; and
- I represent the FGSR on various committees, working groups, search, selection, and review committees across campus.
My advice to our graduate students:
- Embrace what you are passionate about and surround yourself with people that respect and support your dreams and goals.
- Remember that ideas, inspiration, and mentorship can come from many different places - your supervisor and research group, but also from graduate student focused workshops and activities across campus, extracurricular activities and pursuits, conferences and symposia, and friends and family.
Professor, Department of Biological Sciences
Associate Dean's Raivio's faculty page at the Department of Biological Sciences.