An applicant must:
• Be a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident;
• Be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies, or
- was married to an Alberta resident immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies.
• Be enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program at the University of Alberta at the year of nomination (NOTE: this includes students in undergraduate, graduate, apprenticeship, diploma, and certificate programs; FGSR only handles the graduate component of this award
• Have demonstrated leadership skills, especially in the area of disability, and/or have shown commitment to improving conditions in the lives of other Albertans.