An applicant must:
• Have a 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) or greater on the current graduate program graded course work at the University of Alberta, or, if a student is newly admitted, AGPA will be used to determine eligibility. Students with no course work completed as part of their program (typically PhD) and are only registered in thesis: GPA will be N/A. FGSR’s Graduate Scholarship Committee (GSC) reviews other academic accomplishments.
• Be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person (students with a study permit (student visa) are not eligible);
• Be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies, or
- was married to an Alberta resident for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies.
• Be enrolled full-time in a graduate degree program at the University of Alberta in the current academic year. Students must be registered full-time in Fall 2019 and Winter 2020 terms. January 2020 admit students must be registered full-time in Winter 2020 term. Students in an undergraduate, apprenticeship, diploma, and certificate program are to contact Student Financial Services, Office of the Registrar for application details.
• Have shown outstanding leadership, especially in the area of disability, and/or initiative to improve the lives of other people while attending a school in Alberta.