Applications must be submitted through the GSMS Awards Portal. FGSR will only accept complete applications prior to your departure date. Submitting your application package does not denote acceptance of your application, nor guarantee available funds. You will be notified through the portal once your application has been processed and a decision has been made.
GSMS Online Submission:
- Follow the GSMS Awards Student Training Document\Apply for Awards to submit your application (available in GSMS or on FGSR's website under Award Resources).
- Search for "Travel Award 2019/20". The award will only be viewable during the open application dates.
- Upload the 1) FGSR Graduate Travel Award application form and 2) Supporting Documents as one pdf. See application form and document specifications below.
- The Supervisor response must have a "Complete" status in order to submit your application. The Submit button will not be visible until all mandatory areas of the application are complete.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected and you will be required to re-apply once your application is complete.
- It is your responsibility to review your application for completeness and eligibility before submission.
- Screenshots, JPEG, or PNG images of the application form or supporting documents will not be accepted for submission.
1) FGSR Graduate Travel Award Application Form.
- Application fields must be completed in their entirety; missing information will result in your application being deemed incomplete and such will be rejected.
- For general allowable travel expenses guidelines that FGSR follows, please refer to the University’s Travel Expense Procedure. Note that not all expenses listed within this document are acceptable for FGSR Graduate Travel Awards.
2) Supporting Documents
- Documents must be copies of originals
- Documentation sent by email must be the original print out from your ualberta.ca email account; information copied from the body of an email and pasted into word or excel will not be accepted.
- Confirmation letters received as an email attachment must include the organizations’ particulars (organization logo, contact information, signatures, etc).
- Copies of flight, hotel, car rental receipts, and copies of the conference program are not required.
- Documentation from the conference organizers confirming your poster or paper has been accepted for presentation OR a letter of invitation to participate in a panel discussion or to exhibit your work.
- Documentation from the conference organizers confirming your registration; the document should outline the cost for registration and what items are included in the registration fee (meals, accommodation, etc.). You must still send confirmation of registration if there is no registration fee.
- Documentation confirming your acceptance/ invitation and registration must be in your name. If your supervisor has submitted on your behalf and subsequently the documentation has been sent in their name, your supervisor must provide an explanatory memo to be included with your application.
- Documentation from the organizers that confirms your participation to a data collection site, workshop, summer institute, etc.
- Documentation that you paid the associated expenses (eg. registration fee), if any.
- If the above documentation is not available, provide a letter of support from your University supervisor commenting on the significance of the trip for your research program. The letter must outline the specific dates and location in which you are undertaking your research, and must be written and signed on faculty/university letterhead.