Students must apply directly to FGSR by completing the online application in the GSMS Awards Portal. Search for "Alberta Graduate Excellence Scholarship Indigenous" to access the application and for detailed instructions.
Students are required to provide proof of their Indigenous ancestry. A photocopy (front and back) of one of the accepted documents must be uploaded to the online application in the GSMS Awards Portal. The following is accepted as proof of ancestry:
• certificate of Indian Status, a status card or a band membership card
• letter from their band verifying the student’s status
• membership card issued by a Métis organization that the student is registered with (Metis organization must be a legal entity)
• a certified copy of a Nunavut Trust Certificate card or Inuit beneficiary card
• letter of support from Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada or Nunavut Tunngavik Incorporated
• a letter of support from an First Nation, Metis or Inuit organization (must be a legal entity) confirming the student’s aboriginal ancestry
• proof that an ancestor’s name has been entered;
- in the Indian Register according to the Indian Act; OR
- as beneficiary of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement
Note: If you are unsure about your residency or proof of Indigenous ancestry documents, please contact FGSR Award Services.
It is students' responsibility to ensure their application is complete before submitting in the GSMS Awards Portal. Student must click "submit" for FGSR to access their application. Successfully submitted applications will indicate the status of "FGSR Review".