Details for the 2020 Mackenzie King Open Scholarship application process are forthcoming.
Applications must be submitted to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) of an applicant’s “home” university. This is the Canadian university from which an applicant most recently graduated or at which they are currently enrolled. Applicants may apply for both scholarships with a single application if the eligibility criteria are met for both scholarships.
Applicants who are applying through the U of A
are expected to review the information on this page as well as the information provided on the
Mackenzie King website.
A complete application consists of:
1. The completed and signed application form (including attached sheets A and B as described on that form). The application form is available on the Mackenzie King Scholarships website.
2. Three* letters of reference from persons who have an intimate knowledge of your record and ability and are able to give a critical evaluation of your plans for graduate study.
*At least two of these testimonials must be from persons under whom you have taken your major work at university, or from senior colleagues with whom you have been associated in academic teaching or research.
associated in academic teaching or research.
Reference letters may be submitted to FGSR in either of the following formats:
• Email: referees must email their letters directly to FGSR, Awards Services at email@example.com. The email subject must clearly state 1.) the name of the student and 2.) “Mackenzie King Scholarship Application Reference Letter”. Letters sent to students and subsequently forwarded to FGSR will not be accepted.
• Hard copy: reference letters must be submitted to FGSR, Awards Services in sealed envelopes. The envelope must be signed by the referee on the back across the seal. The front of the envelope must clearly state both 1.) the name of the student and 2.) “Mackenzie King Scholarship Reference Letter”.
3. Certified copies of official transcripts of marks and other academic records from each university you have attended. This includes: incomplete degrees, transfer credits, miscellaneous course-work taken.
• Domestic transcripts (from institutions within Canada): Applicants are expected to order each transcript from the source institution and have it sent directly to FGSR, Awards Services. When ordering transcripts, please have them addressed to “Attn: Awards Services, Mackenzie King Competition”.
• International transcripts (from institutions outside Canada): If FGSR does not have a certified original/English translation of your transcript on file, one must be submitted with the application. If unsure, please contact us, firstname.lastname@example.org, to confirm whether or not we have your international transcript.