The value of the CGS-MSFSS award is up to $6,000, based on the information and budget justification provided by the applicant. Supplements are non-renewable. The related research study period abroad normally lasts between three to six months, but must be for a minimum of three months.
To be eligible to apply for this funding opportunity, you must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada by the application deadline
- Be registered at an eligible Canadian institution at the time of application
- Undertake your proposed trip abroad no earlier than the competition deadline date. Be travelling for a minimum 3 months and a maximum of 6 months
- Not hold or have held any other CGS-MSFSS during the course of your graduate studies
- Have accepted or hold one of the following active awards: a Master's or PhD-level CGS (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) or a Vanier CGS
To remain eligible during the research study period abroad, you must:
- Hold an active CGS award at the time your research study period abroad starts
- Be registered full-time in your graduate program at a Canadian Institution for the duration of your research study period abroad
- Take up the award within one year of receiving the notice of award for the CGS-MSFSS
- Return to complete your degree in Canada
Please Note: PGS-level funding is ineligible for this funding (this includes SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships).
Please click the Tri-Agency links under our "Additional Information" section on the right side of this page to read the full agency details, including eligibility requirements, for this competition.
Please submit a completed application to your department by their internal deadline.
You must create an online account on one of the following agency-specific web-based forms sites, log on, and complete your application.
Please note: SSHRC and CIHR applications must be submitted as hard copies to your department, and forwarded as hard copies to FGSR, as original signatures re required.
Your department may be choose to forward your application to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research by the University deadline (determined by the FGSR).
FGSR will facilitate any revisions to your application if they occur following the submission of your application to FGSR. Winners must apprise FGSR of any changes to their outlined itineraries.
A complete application includes the following:
• Application form, which includes a budget proposal (available on the websites of the respective granting agencies)
• A maximum two-page description of your intended research activities during your research study period abroad and a description of the potential benefits of this travel opportunity
• Letter from current research supervisor
• Letter from host supervisor indicating the resources available to support student’s planned research activities; non-academic host supervisors must demonstrate they have experience supervising graduate student research
• For CGS-M and Vanier CGS recipients, a copy of the latest updated CGS research proposal must also be included
• Terms and Conditions of Applying Form
For detailed application requirements, please visit the appropriate federal government granting agency website.
Once received at the FGSR, nominations are reviewed for eligibility and completeness and a adjudicated. Recommended applications are forwarded to NSERC/SSHRC/CIHR for consideration. Once the granting agencies complete the review processes, they will announce the results to candidates (CIHR and SSHRC by mail and NSERC by email), and to each institution by posting the list of all successful applicants by institution on the Tri-Agency Awards Extranet.
October 10, 2017 Competition: Notifications of award for the October 10th competition will be sent on December 10th, 2017, following the agency-specific review process.
October 10, 2017 Competition:
• September 15, 2017 (4:00pm MST): deadline for departments to submit applications to FGSR
• October 10, 2017: U of A deadline to submit recommended applicants to the Tri-Agencies
• Departments may set an earlier internal deadline to receive applications from students and conduct internal adjudication. Please contact your department to obtain this information.
There are a maximum of 2 granting agency deadlines: June 10 and October 10 annually.
If an institution's allocation for CGS-MSFSS has been reached by the June 10 deadline, there may not be an opportunity for further applications to be accepted at the October 10 competition.