Tuition and Fees

Change to Permanent Resident

International students on a Study Permit who become Permanent Residents of Canada may be eligible for a fee reassessment and removal of the international differential fee depending on the effective date of their permanent residency.

In order for the differential fee to be removed for an entire term the student needs to fulfill the following requirements:

  • The permanent resident date change occurs before or on the last day of the calendar month in which the term ends;
  • The student provides the necessary documents within said term or at the very latest during the first week of the following term.

For example: the Fall term ends in December and a student has until December 31 to obtain permanent residency status. This date must be clearly indicated on the permanent residency form. The documents need to be provided up to the first week of the Winter term.

To have a change of residency status recorded, students should come in person to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research office with the following:

  • UAlberta ONEcard
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence form or your Permanent Resident card indicating the "Became a Permanent Resident" date.
    Note: Original documents are required; photocopies will not be accepted.

Students who are not within travelling distance may mail notarised certified true copies of their Permanent Resident documents to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research office.

Students should also advise their home department of the immigration status change.

Students receiving any form of payment from the University of Alberta should also present their new Social Insurance card – when available – in person to Payroll Operations (2-60 University Terrace). The original card must be presented; photocopies will not be accepted.

Once the reassessment is processed, future registrations are assessed with Canadian/Permanent Resident fees.