In this workshop style session, students have time for personal reflection and discussion. They will complete preliminary work on their IDP by reflecting on how they define career success, and their career-related values. Activities will take place to help students explore these topics. Students will also take time to reflect on experiences, asking themselves what they enjoyed about them and what they contributed.
These activities prepare students to research their three possible career paths (required in the IDP) and to recognize the soft and technical skills (required in the IDP skills gap analysis) they bring to the workplace.
Finally, students will be given resources to move forward with the IDP. They will be asked to return to the Part 3 session with their potential career paths chosen, their skills gap analysis, and their timeline for program completion.
Deanna Davis, PhD
Senior Lead and Educational Curriculum Developer
Graduate Teaching and Learning
Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research
Career Coach and Certified Career Development Professional
University of Alberta Career Centre
- Wednesday, October 30, 2019 | 10:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. | South Academic Building (SAB) 331
- Tuesday, December 10, 2019 | 2:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. | SAB 336 | Register
- Thursday, February 27, 2020 | 2:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. | Triffo Hall 1-16 | Register
- Thursday, April 2, 2020 | 10:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. | Triffo Hall 1-16 | Register
- Tuesday, May 5, 2020 | 2:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. | Triffo Hall 1-16 | Register
This session is also available online.
This workshop may be used towards the Professional Development (PD) Requirement. All professional development sessions or activities must be approved by your department.
In partnership with the Career Centre