Smart people work everywhere, and some graduate students will go on to jobs that may not even exist yet. The Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research knows this and, in 2016, the University of Alberta became the first Canadian post-secondary institution to prioritize professional development with the Professional Development Requirement. This session will introduce you to the Requirement, including the Individual Development Plan (IDP) and 8 hours of professional development activities. This session addresses introductory questions:
- Why do I have to complete a professional development requirement?
- How do I create my Individual Development (IDP) and what are the steps involved?
- What counts towards the 8 hours of professional development activities and how do I go about finding activities?
- What role do departments have in the Professional Development Requirement?
- What support and resources are available to me as I complete my Professional Development Requirement?
Monday, September 28, 2020 | 12:00 - 1:00 pm | Register
Thursday, November 5, 2020 | 12:00 - 1:00 pm | Register
Monday November 30, 2020 | 12:00 - 1:00 pm | Register
Monday, February 22, 2021 | 12:00 - 1:00 pm | Register
Monday, May 3, 2021 | 12:00 - 1:00 pm | Register
Can't attend a virtual session? Visit the Professional Development Requirement Overview and Online Individual Development Plan platform. The PD Online Platform offers you the opportunity to:
learn about the Professional Development Requirement in an interactive, "gamified" format
complete your Individual Development Plan in an online format in a single sitting or over several sessions.