GTL Program Level 1: GTL Week Workshops: Classroom Basics is intended to provide an overview of skills and concepts required for teaching at a post-secondary level.
New for August 2018: GTL Week will provide you with the workshops you need to complete Level 1 of the program. You are required to complete 20-25 workshop hours (core requirement workshops + 2 options) for Level 1 to receive a letter of completion for your teaching dossier and progress to Level 2.
If you began your program prior to August 2018, please visit eClass for your program requirements
Open to all UAlberta graduate students and post-doctoral fellows.
Approximately 20-25 workshop hours including core requirement workshops and two options offered during GTL Week held in August and January.
Core Requirement Workshops
- Active Learning
- Circular Communication in the Classroom
- The Code of Student Behaviour in Teaching
- Copyright in the Classroom
- Dealing with Difficult Situations and Students
- Ethical Principles in Teaching
- The Fundamentals of Grading and Assessment
- Identifying, Helping, and Referring Students in Distress
- Learning Objectives and Outcomes
- Lesson Planning
- Social Location and Unconscious Bias in the Classroom
- Student Motivation
- Teaching and Learning: Context Matters
- Teaching Presentation Skills
To be selected from a variety of sessions, including (but not limited to):
Effective Grading in Biology
- Effective Teaching in the Lab
- Leading Discussions
- Mindfulness in the Classroom
- Your First Class: How to Make it First Class
Participants will receive a letter of completion once they have attended once they have met their level one requirements.