The Graduate Teaching and Learning Program Level 2: Practicum is a free, pass-fail, not-for-credit, blended course, equivalent to 17 hours of instruction.
In Level 2, you will expand the knowledge developed in Level 1 and will gain practical experience in lesson planning and delivery. Grounding this course are the development of self-reflexive and peer engagement skills that will assist in the content-based development of a teaching philosophy. Your teaching philosophy will then be used to build an effective lesson plan that will be demonstrated in two in-class microteaching presentations. You will also have the opportunity to develop a statement of teaching philosophy, a document required for academic job applications, as well as an individual teaching development plan.
Level 1: Foundations | Qualifying candidates will be invited to apply for Level 2
Participants will develop understanding of the practical application of:
- SoTL principles in instruction
- Strategies in classroom management, leadership, student support and inclusion
Participants will practical experience in the development of:
- Learning objectives and outcomes
- Lesson planning and delivery
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy, ePortfolio, and Teaching Development Plan
Participants will deepen capacity for:
- Self-assessment knowledge vis-a-vis reflection and reflexivity
- Workplace professionalism and ethical principles in university teaching
- Serving as a critical colleague
- Setting and monitoring personal learning goals
Level 2 is a blended course, equivalent to 17 hours of instruction. Students with need approximately two hours per week outside of class to complete assessments. Attendance and active participation is mandatory and a significant component in the course evaluation.
Completion Requirements and Transcript Notation
Completion of Level 2 is based on the successful fulfillment of the following:
- Lesson plan
- Microteaching (2)
- Written self-reflection
- Verbal and written peer feedback
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Teaching development plan
- Exit survey and critical reflection
Graduate students who complete Level 2 will receive the following notation on their transcripts: Graduate Teaching and Learning Program: Practicum. All participants will receive level completion letters for their teaching dossiers.
The Professional Development Requirement
This course may be used towards the Professional Development Requirement. All professional development activities must be approved by your department.