International Admissions

Study Permit

To study in Canada for six months or longer, you must obtain a Study Permit from the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate. It is difficult to change your status once you are in Canada so if you might study in Canada for longer than six months, apply for a study permit.

You will need to apply for these documents before you come to Canada and you should begin this procedure immediately after submitting your application for admission. The process of obtaining immigration documents differs between visa offices and can take up to 12 months to complete.

Before the Canadian immigration officer will issue a Study Permit, you will need an official letter of admission from the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR).

For more information, see Study Permits.

Temporary Resident Visas

Where required, you may also need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). Many international students will require both a Study Permit and a Temporary Resident Visa in order to enter Canada. For information, see Temporary Resident Visas.

Working in Canada 

International students may be permitted to work in Canada while studying. If you wish to work during your period of study, you will need to acquire your study permit before applying for a work permit. For more information, see Working in Canada.

Electronic Traveling Authority (eTA)

Effective March 15, 2016, Canada is introducing a new entry requirement known as the Electronic Travel Authority (eTA) for visa-exempt foreign nationals entering Canada by air. There are no changes to enter Canada if you are travelling by land or sea. Visa-exempt foreign nationals who received their study or work permit, on or after August 1, 2015, are automatically issued an eTA with their permit. 

Visa-exempt foreign nationals are strongly advised to register in advance of the deadline to avoid issues with border services. Your eTA must be presented to a border services agent on arrival.

Your eTA authorizes you to visit Canada for up to six months or until the date prescribed by the border services agent. 

For more information or help with your registration, click here.

To learn more about immigration regulations, please consult Citizenship and Immigration Canada or contact a Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate office near to you.