Inviting Foreign Visitors

Foreign visitors are foreign nationals who visit, carry out research or work temporarily with the University of Alberta and are exempt from a Labour Market Impact Assessment. The majority of foreign visitors will enter Canada under Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada's (IRCC) International Mobility Program. There are some categories that are exempt from this program.

International Mobility Program (IMP)

IMP includes, but is not limited to:

  • Visiting Professors/Scholars/Academics
  • Research Award Recipients
  • Post-Doctoral Fellows
  • Clinical Fellows*
  • Clinical Research Fellows*
  • Research Fellows*
  • Medical Residents*
  • Clinical Academic Colleagues
  • International Experience Canada
  • Self-funded Researchers
  • Business Visitors
  • Global Skills Strategy (GSS) 120-day exemption for researchers
  • Global Skills Strategy (GSS) 30-day or 15-day exemption for high-skilled workers
  • Applicable visitors under Foreign Trade Agreements, such as NAFTA or GATS

To invite foreign visitors under IMP, you must submit a Foreign Visitor Category Assessment (FVCA).

*All Clinical Fellows, Clinical Research Fellows, Research Fellows, and Medical Residents must be submitted through the Postgraduate Medical Education office within the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, who will then submit an FVCA on the host's behalf*

For details on how to use the Immigration Management System, see the Foreign Visitor Category Assessment User Guide and Tips Sheet.

Immigration Services will submit the forms and payment to IRCC (if required), and contact the department with further instructions. For further information about the process of inviting a foreign national under the International Mobility Program, visit frequently asked questions.

If you need to cancel or make changes to the conditions (such as duration of stay, wages, errors in name, passport, etc.) under which you are/were inviting a foreign national exempt from an LMIA, refer to Correcting or Canceling an Offer of Employment.

Foreign Visitors Exempt from IMP

For full descriptions of exempt visitors and instructions on how to invite them, visit Foreign Visitors Exempt from the International Mobility Program.

In most cases, foreign nationals who are registered as full-time students at the U of A are also exempt.