Working under the direction of the Principal Investigator and/or the Laboratory Manager, Laboratory Assistants perform a variety of routine tasks within clearly defined procedures; decisions are made regarding the set-up, sequencing and priority of tasks.
Duties of a Laboratory Assistant may include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing and maintaining laboratory samples and reagents
- Assisting with the development and testing of experimental techniques
- Conducting experiments using standard techniques
- Compiling data and performing preliminary data analysis and interpretation
- Maintaining inventory of laboratory supplies including record keeping and purchasing
- Performing general laboratory maintenance including equipment repair and upkeep
- Disposing of laboratory waste according to Standard Operating Procedures
- Maintaining laboratory records and logs
- Participating in the training of students on laboratory techniques and safe equipment operation
Note: When assessing the level of positions, the following elements are taken into consideration: the work described; the context in which the work is done; the organizational structure; and comparable positions on campus.
Sample - Technician I – Position #15335 (Grade 5)
Sample - Laboratory Technician- Position #15433 (Grade 5)
Sample – Laboratory Technologist – Position #13963 (Grade 6)
Sample - Protein Production/ Purification Technician – Position # 15042 (Grade 6)