Student Services Leads/Supervisors perform and/or oversee a wide variety of somewhat complex activities performed within a number of standard procedures and policies. Decisions involve selection of the appropriate procedures/techniques to follow among several standard alternatives. These roles often include lead hand or full supervision of student services support staff.
Duties of a Student Services Lead/Supervisor may include, but are not limited to:
- Supervising and coordinating staff including recruiting, selecting, training, and monitoring work; mediating/resolving staff issues and conducting performance reviews
- Ensuring effective operation of student services unit (admissions, transfer credit assessment, student advising, registration, convocation)
- Contributing to the development of policies and procedures and overseeing implementation and maintenance
- Overseeing timetabling and scheduling including classroom bookings and calendar updates/changes
- Analyzing admissions data, identifying trends and making recommendations
- Providing support for student appeals and disciplinary cases
- Planning and implementing strategies for recruitment of students
- Liaising with the Registrar’s Office, the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research and University of Alberta International to ensure compliance with University policies and procedures
- Participating on faculty and campus-wide committees in the development of university policies, procedures, standards and system improvements
Note: When assessing the level of positions, the following elements are taken into consideration: the work described; the context in which the work is done; the organizational structure; and comparable positions on campus.
Sample – Student Services Group Team Lead – Position #14618 (Grade 9)
Sample – Admissions and Records Coordinator – Position #10362 (Grade 9)
Sample – Graduate Student Services Supervisor – Position #444 (Grade 10)
Sample – Student Services Team Lead – Position #13798 (Grade 10)