HR Assistants perform a variety of routine tasks within clearly defined procedures. Decisions are made regarding the set-up, sequencing and priority of tasks.
Duties of a HR Assistant may include, but are not limited to:
- Providing advice and guidance on recruitment, payroll, exception pay, benefits, absence reporting, and appointments
- Assisting the HR Advisor/team in providing administrative support to the Faculty/Department/Unit
- Entering postings into the central Recruitment and Advertising Database (RAD)
- Preparing and maintaining the recruitment/competition files (maintaining a database of candidates, closing the file, etc.) in accordance with retention legislation and UAPPOL
- Preparing for interviews (booking space, coordinating participants’ calendars, contacting candidates, etc.)
- Creating appointment letters and accompanying documents
- Completing ePAF and/or paperwork for new hires, extensions, Speed Code changes, transfers
- Reconciling payroll and initiates corrections/recoveries, as needed; investigating any payroll issues with central HR
- Ensuring that performance appraisal forms are distributed to and completed by all supervisors/managers prior to the due date
- Maintaining employee records and files
- Running termination report monthly; sending out notice emails to Supervisors that employee's appointment is ending and requesting information if the employee should be extended (as well as all other appointment information); tracking communication; sending follow up emails as required
- Running other reports in PeopleSoft, gathering and preparing information and documentation for the HR Partner/Manager and/or HR Team lead, as requested
- Other duties as required
Note: When assessing the level of positions, the following elements are taken into consideration: the work described; the context in which the work is done; the organizational structure; and comparable positions on campus.