Working within general direction and guidance from the Principal Investigator, the Senior Laboratory Technologist/Lead performs and/or oversees moderately diversified and complex activities within assigned objectives. Decisions made are exceptions to standard practice and exceptions require in-depth analysis. These roles may include lead hand or full supervision of laboratory support staff.
Duties of a Senior Laboratory Technologist/Lead may include, but are not limited to:
- Managing projects and initiatives
- Reviewing, determining, and negotiating laboratory/study budgets
- Overseeing cost recovery/revenue generating services
- Designing and developing laboratory/study protocols
- Overseeing and leading laboratory activities
- Developing and implementing quality assurance procedures
- Assisting in the development and submission of grant applications (contributing scientific content, researching equipment cost, etc.)
- Supervising data management processes
- Developing an evaluation framework for experiments
- Creating and presenting reports, summaries and publications
- Liaising with vendors, research partners, industry and government
- Liaising and collaborating with key stakeholders
- Supervising/leading laboratory support staff and providing direction and training to graduate students
Note: When assessing the level of positions, the following elements are taken into consideration: the work described; the context in which the work is done; the organizational structure; and comparable positions on campus.