Research Associates at Level 2 apply extensive knowledge in their field to lead high-level, complex research activities under the direction of the Principal Investigator and provide managerial leadership to a research project or program. These positions require greater judgement and input over the research as compared to Research Associates at Level 1. They normally hold a doctoral degree or have equivalent qualifications and experience.
Duties of a Research Associate Level 2 are carried out in consultation with the Principal Investigator and may include, but are not limited to:
- Setting research program objectives (involved in the planning of future research)
- Supervising support staff or Research Associates (Level 1)
- Overseeing the operations in one or more laboratories/locations
- Overseeing the analysis of research results
- Conducting quality analysis and quality assurance on research operations, methodology, etc.
- Conducting related administrative duties at a managerial level (including human resource, budgetary, equipment management and/or facility and space planning)
- Planning research activities and provides research design for a project and/or program
- Determining the most appropriate methodology in carrying-out identified research goals
- Designing experiments, data collection protocols, and standards
- Overseeing/supervising data collection activities
- Preparing proposals for new research activities, including assisting in the preparation of research grant applications and contract proposals
- Participating in the writing of research papers, preparation of presentations and publications
- Guiding and coaching students and/or post-doctoral fellows
- Presenting research results in laboratory meetings, seminars, scientific conferences and/or related settings
- Liaising and/or negotiating with off-campus partners
- May be a co-applicant for research funding if stipulated in the appointment letter
Note: When assessing the level of positions, the following elements are taken into consideration: the work described; the context in which the work is done; the organizational structure; and comparable positions on campus.
Sample - Research Associate, MARD (Dept. of Family Medicine, FoMD)
Sample - Associate Director, CIHR Institute of Aboriginal Peoples’ Health (VPR)
Sample - Research Scientist (Dept. of Physics, Faculty of Science)