Duties/activities of a Trust Administrator 2 are of a similar nature to a Trust Administrator 1, however these positions have managerial accountability over larger-scale, complex research projects and/or mid-to-large sized centres or institutes. Some variables taken into consideration are: budget size; staff complement (number of staff, diversity of functions overseen); collaboration with other academic institutions, government, private industry, etc.; and level of accountability and decision-making.
Duties of a Trust Administrator 2 may include, but are not limited to:
- Developing comprehensive business plans and overseeing strategic planning for the short- and long-term success of the project/centre/institute
- Providing financial management including the oversight and control of research project funds to ensure optimum use of financial resources
- Making decisions on the acquisition of resources and manages issues related to facility and space allocation
- Providing human resources management, including supervising staff, and liaises with centralized Human Resource Services (HRS)
- Advising on the application of the university’s policies and procedures, including research administration, contract management, risk management, etc.
- Building and maintaining relationships with external and internal networks and partners, including collaborators, funding agencies, suppliers, etc.
- Identifying opportunities for fundraising, developing funding proposals, and secures funds for the project/centre/institute
- Participating in the preparation and submission of grant applications and reports and ensures timelines/deliverables are met
- Overseeing communications/marketing activities
Note: When assessing the level of positions, the following elements are taken into consideration: the work described; the context in which the work is done; the organizational structure; and comparable positions on campus.
Sample - Business Manager (Delta Genomics, Dept. of AFNS, Faculty of ALES)
Sample - Program Administrator (Dept. of Obstetrics & Gynecology, FoMD)
Sample - Associate Director, The Steadward Centre for Personal & Physical Achievement (Faculty of KSR)