Recruitment & Advertising

Removal Grant

Staff governed by the Academic Teaching Staff (ATS) or the Temporary Administrative and Professional Staff (TAPS) Agreements may be eligible for a removal grant toward expenses necessarily and reasonably incurred in moving to Edmonton, based on removal from the place of residence. Regulations governing removal grants can be found in the respective ATS and TAPS agreements.

A removal grant is referred to by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) as a non-accountable moving allowance and is different from the relocation benefits available to continuing academic staff under the UAPPOL policy.

Obtaining Removal Grant Authorization

For the removal grant to be paid out on the staff member's monthly pay cheque, departments must complete a Removal Grant/Moving Allowance Authorization form which can be found in the HRS Forms Cabinet. The form must be signed and returned to Employment Services by the Payroll Deadline Appointment & Exception Forms Due Date.

It is recommended the form be signed and submitted to Employment Services with the appointment letter to minimize time delay in processing the payment.

Removal Grant Regulations

The amount of the removal grant is dependent upon the staff member's residence prior to coming to Edmonton and in accordance with the following schedule

Residence Immediately Prior to Appointment Maximum Grant (CAD)
Edmonton and vicinity (within twenty miles of Edmonton boundary $0
Other points in Alberta $150
Manitoba, Saskatchewan, British Columbia $400
Other parts of Canada and continental USA $600
All others $1000


  •  Domicile shall be the place of normal residence of the staff member immediately prior to the taking up of the appointment in Edmonton.

  • The staff member is not required to produce receipts in support of the payment of the removal grant. However, receipts for expenditures incurred in the move to Edmonton should be retained for the following reasons:

    i) The grant will be considered as income for income tax purposes and reported on the staff member’s T4 tax form. It may be possible to claim, as deductions from that income, expenses incurred in the move to Edmonton - in accordance with the current tax legislation. Receipts will be required to document the claim.

    ii) In the event that a temporary staff member receives a future appointment to a full-time tenurable position, they may be eligible for a supplementary removal allowance; this will require receipts, vouchers, etc. in support of the claim. Any supplementary removal allowance will be reduced by the amount of any removal grant paid as a temporary staff member (see #6 below).

  •  The removal grant will be paid shortly after the effective date of the appointment. A grant will not be paid in advance of that date.

  • If the staff member does not, of his or her own volition, complete the contractual period of appointment they must refund the removal grant in full. Unless other arrangements are made, such a refund will be deducted from the staff member’s terminal salary cheque.

  • The regulations with respect to removal allowances for full-time tenurable staff members are somewhat more liberal than those with respect to removal grants for full-time temporary staff members. In the event that a full-time temporary staff member is appointed as a full-time tenurable staff member immediately following the expiry of the temporary appointment, they may apply for a supplementary removal allowance, which will be the difference between the amount they would be eligible to receive as a tenurable staff member and the amount actually received as a temporary staff member. In light of this possibility, the full-time temporary staff member should retain copies of all receipts, vouchers, etc. in connection with removal to Edmonton at the time of appointment to the full-time temporary staff.

  • A staff member who received a removal grant covering an appointment during the immediately preceding academic year (July 1 - June 30) is not normally eligible to receive such a grant covering an appointment during the current academic year. Exceptions to this rule may only be made by the Provost upon the recommendation of the appropriate Dean.

  • A staff member who received a Special Registrations Travel Allowance in connection with appointment to the immediately preceding Spring or Summer Session is not eligible to receive a removal grant in connection with an appointment to the full-time temporary staff during the current academic year unless the value of the removal grant under these regulations is greater than the Special Registrations Travel Allowance received, in which case the staff member will be eligible to receive a removal grant which is the difference between the two amounts.