Please Note: The application deadline has been extended to February 3, 2019 at 6:00pm EST.
Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) is a Government of Canada Summer Work Experience program initiative. It provides wage subsidies for employers who create quality summer work experiences to help young people between the ages of 15 and 30, obtain information, skills, work experience and abilities they need to successfully transition into the labour market. Funding priority will be given to placements which provide opportunities for youth who face unique barriers.
Employers (Departments) must submit their applications for funding directly to the Canada Summer Jobs program no later than
January 25, 2019 February 3, 2019 at 6:00pm EST. Applications received or postmarked after the deadline date will not be considered.
CSJ criteria to assess the proposals/applications will focus on:
- Quality job placements
- Support program objectives as well as national and local priorities
- Placements that provide career-related experience or early work experience and commit to retain the youth as an employee beyond the CSJ program
- A wage that contributes to the student’s income
- Provide supervision and mentoring; guidance towards professional and career development goals
- An employer who intends to hire priority students (students with disabilities, Aboriginal students, and students who are members of visible minority groups)
Terms and Conditions
In order to be eligible for funding, departments must meet the following terms:
- Duration is between 6 and 16 consecutive weeks
- Job hours must be full-time (30 to 40 hours per week)
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
For full program details and eligibility requirements visit the Employment and Social Development Canada website.
Application and Deadlines
The application deadline is
January 25, 2019 February 3, 2019 at 6:00pm EST, with no consideration of late applications. It is strongly recommended that applicants familiarize themselves with the applicant guide prior to completing and submitting their CSJ application.
The following University specific information is required for the application:
- Canada Revenue Agency Registration Number for the University of Alberta (9 digit number/code): CRA Business Number 10810 2831 RP0003
- Legal Name: The Governors of the University of Alberta
- Operating Name: University of Alberta
- Date established: 1908
- Number of employees: 11,536
- Mailing address of employer: 116 St and 85 Ave, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2R3
- Does your organization owe any amount to the Government of Canada?: enter "no"
- Organization's Mandate: Institution of education, research and innovation
For additional information on the CSJ program, eligibility, application and assessment process, visit the Employment and Social Development Canada website or call 1-800-935-5555 (TTY: 1-800-926-9105). Please note that Recruitment Services does not administer the CSJ program.