This Program is available to employers who hire a Métis youth, between the ages of 15 to 30 during the summer months. The job must be for minimum period of six and a maximum of sixteen consecutive weeks between May and August, and the client must intend to return to school in September.
Successful applicants will receive a wage subsidy equal to the minimum wage in Alberta.
Criteria to assess the proposals/applications will focus on:
- The position must provide quality work experience and a good career decision making opportunity in a learning and professional environment
- The position must prepare the student for future labour market participation upon graduation
Employers (departments) must provide the following conditions:
- Hours of work will not exceed 40 hours per week
- 8 to 16 weeks in duration
Terms and Conditions
In order to be eligible for funding, student hires must meet the following terms:
- Be Métis (contact Rupersland Institute for more information, see contact information below)
- Be between 15 and 30 (inclusive) years
- Registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year with intentions of returning to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
- Cannot be an immediate family member of a director or senior officer of the contractor
- not in receipt of Employment Insurance (EI) Benefits
For information on how to access this program, contact Rupertsland Institute by phoning 780-423-2237 or visit the website at www.rupertsland.org and inquire about the Youth Summer Employment Program.