It's a major milestone for both the employee and you as their manager. Time to review the successes, challenges and opportunities.
Observe the milestone and Look to the Future
- Review the first year. Celebrate successes with recognition of contribution.
- Discuss career development and plans for the future
- Offer professional development opportunities
- Talk with the new employee. Ask questions:
- Is the job what you expected? How or how not?
- Are you having enough opportunity to learn and grow?
- Are you running into any hindrances to your productivity? What are they and how do they affect you?
- What’s the best thing that’s happened to you here this year?
- Do you feel recognized for your contributions? How do you like to be recognized?
- What suggestions for improvements do you have?
Benefits available at this milestone
- Inform your employee of the benefits that are available at this time
Continue Performance Development
- Is employee working at full productivity
- Continue providing regular feedback and provide formal annual feedback