Managing during COVID-19

Current Status

Most employees are working remotely until at least April 30, 2021. The only exceptions are:

  • approved essential services on campuses
  • approved research activities that cannot be conducted remotely
  • approved in-person courses
  • approved limited work exceptions on campus (e.g., access to equipment or inadequate work space at home)

COVID-19 Information for the U of A Community >>

Leading teams working remotely

Review information about managing employees working remotely.

Managing safe returns to campus

Learn more about managing safe returns to campus.

What to do if an employee feels ill

If an employee experiences COVID-19 symptoms, advise them to complete the COVID-19 self-assessment provided by Alberta Health Services (AHS). If testing confirms a COVID-19 diagnosis, they should follow AHS’ instructions. A doctor’s note is not required. 


Pandemic Pay Guidelines

Read about payroll and time tracking, isolation pay and leave guidelines during the pandemic.

Supporting faculty and staff with family responsibilities during the pandemic

Read about how to help your faculty and staff find balance.

Managing foreign nationals

Some restrictions now apply to foreign nationals who plan to work at the University of Alberta. 

Vacation and vacation carryforward

Encourage faculty and staff to identify opportunities to schedule time off.


Take note of the resources available to you and your team.

Contact us

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us at