Change of Beneficiary

Life Insurance

You may elect whomever you wish as your beneficiary for Basic Life, Optional Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance purposes. This can be changed any time by accessing Employee Self Service and updating your beneficiary information. The original signed Designation of Beneficiary Form and Voluntary Accident Insurance Plan forms must be submitted to Shared Services via the Staff Service Centre. In the event a claim is made and the updated form is not in your file, the claim will be paid in accordance with the beneficiary forms on file. In the absence of a designated beneficiary, it will be paid to the estate.


Your spouse/common-law spouse (if you have cohabited for a period greater than three years) is by law your pension beneficiary. However you may designate whomever you wish as contingent beneficiaries. To change a beneficiary you must complete a new Designation of Beneficiary Form.

University Academic Pension Plan (UAPP)

If you are an active member, your designated beneficiary information is maintained by Shared Services. The UAPP Designation of Spouse and Non-Spouse and Beneficiary Change Forms are available on the UAPP website. Once completed you can submit the form through the Staff Service Centre.

Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP)

Your Pension Profile (YPP) is a secure, online portal for all PSPP members.  The portal is the only way you can designate or update your beneficiary(ies); paper forms are no longer accepted.  To use YPP, first register for your personal account. Questions?  Call PSPP Member and Pension Inquiries at 1-877-453-1777.