Ethics and permissions


What permissions do field researchers need to consider?

The field researcher has to deal with various permissions (ethical, scientific, land access and regulatory) in order to complete their field projects.

Ethical Permissions and Scientific licensing

Please see the right-hand sidebar for ethical and scientific licensing permission resources.

Accessing Lands

When do you need to get permission to access lands?

If research on grazing lease lands, Crown land, or private land, you will need to get permission to access. Even on Crown or public lands, you may need approval; for example, if companies have a disposition, the land is leased for grazing or a trapper has a line. It is important to understand and comply with any conditions for entering the property. Even if you have sought permission to take samples, who owns the lands that you are traveling across to get access? It is strongly recommended by the University that you always get written approval to be on the property from the landowner.

See the responses to frequently asked questions regarding accessing lands.

Require a Certificate of Insurance?

If you require a Certificate of Insurance (as per a request from the landowner or a collaborator), please see Office of Insurance and Risk Assessment's requirements.